Friday, August 7, 2020

Teknaf OC, 6 other cops on 7-day remand

News Desk :
Seven cops, including Teknaf police station's Officer-in-Charge (OC) Pradeep Kumar Das, Baharchhara police outpost's Inspector Liakat Ali and Sub-Inspector Nanda Dulal Rakkhit, were each placed on seven-day remand in connection with the killing of Major (retd) Sinha Md Rashed Khan.
Four other remanded policemen are Assistant Sub-Inspector (ASI) Liton Miah, and Constables Safanur Karim, Kamal Hossain and Abdullah Al Mamun.
The court of Teknaf Senior Judicial Magistrate Md Helal Uddin passed the order on Thursday night after the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB), the investigation agency of the murder case, sought a 10-day remand for each accused.
Confirming the news, the RAB's Legal and Media Wing Director Lt Col Ashik Billah told the media in Dhaka that the court has remanded all of the seven policemen.
The court also issued arrest warrant against two more accused on the run ASI Tutul and Constable Md Mostafa.     
Earlier in the day, the same court turned down bail petitions of the seven policemen and sent them to jail following their surrender.
Soon after the court's order, the RAB moved a petition to take custody of the seven accused for interrogation.
The accused were taken to court at Cox's Bazar
Deputy Commissioner's office around 3:45pm, reports our Cox's Bazar Correspondent.
They were taken with police escort hours after arrest warrants were issued against them and Pradeep Kumar Das, officer-in-charge of Teknaf Police Station. A case was recorded over the death of the retired army officer on Wednesday night.
Additional members of law enforcement agencies were deployed in the court premises. A large number of people thronged the deputy commissioner's office compound when the seven accused were taken to court.
Meanwhile, OC Pradeep Kumar Das surrendered before the same court during the hearing.
Earlier, a team of Chattogram Metropolitan Police took Pradeep to court around 5:00pm, hours after they took him into custody.
On Wednesday night, the court issued arrest warrants against the nine accused including the OC in the case.
Sinha's elder sister Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous filed the case with Teknaf Senior Judicial Magistrate Court on Wednesday accusing nine people including Teknaf police station's Officer-in-Charge Pradeep, Baharchhara Check-post In-Charge Liakat, Sub-inspector Nanda Dulal Rakkhit, and Tutul, ASI Liton Miah, Constable Safanur Karim, Kamal Hossain, Md Abdullah Al Mamun, and Md Mostafa.
Judicial Magistrate Tamanna Farha has ordered the Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) to investigate the incident and directed Teknaf police station to file the case as a deposition.
Earlier on Friday night, Sinha was killed in police firing in Cox's Bazar Marine Drive.
According to the case statement, Baharchhara Check-post In-Charge Liakat and SI Nanda Dulal Rakkhit challenged retired major Sinha and his associate--who were visiting the area to shoot a documentary-- on July 31.
Sinha and his associate, Sifat, a videographer, were dragged off their vehicle despite providing their respective identities. The police officers then fired at Sinha, killing him on the spot.
After the murder, the police officers also filed two fake cases against the Sinha and others to frame them as drug dealers, said Sharmin Shahriar Ferdous, Sinha's sister.
 "Not only did they kill my brother, but they have also mutilated his dead body to make him unrecognisable," added the plaintiff of the case.