Friday, October 2, 2020 | ePaper

Islamic State group claims deadly attack on Afghanistan prison

  • Print




At least 29 people have been killed in a high-profile attack on a central prison in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad which saw more than 1,000 prisoners try to flee.

The attack, claimed by Islamic State (IS), began on Sunday evening when car bombs were detonated at the prison's entrance by gunmen.

Eight of the attackers were killed in a battle lasting almost 20 hours, a Nangarhar province spokesman said.

A number of prisoners remain missing.

There were 1,793 inmates in the prison at the time of the attack - most of them Taliban and IS fighters, a security source told the AFP news agency. It was not immediately clear if the attack had been staged to free specific prisoners from the complex.

According to the provincial spokesman, 1,025 escaped prisoners have been brought back to the jail, and 430 have been rescued. More than 50 people were injured.

Exact figures have not been given for the number who remain at large, or those who were killed.

The attack happened on the third and final day of a temporary ceasefire between the Afghan government and the Taliban, with hundreds of Taliban prisoners released in an effort to get peace talks moving between the two sides.

The Taliban - which is a staunch rival of IS - had earlier said it was not responsible for the attack.

Sunday's attack came a day after Afghanistan's intelligence agency announced that the country had killed a top IS commander, Assadullah Orakzai, near Jalalabad. Orakzai had allegedly been involved in several deadly attacks against Afghan security forces.

Nangarhar province was the Islamic State group's first stronghold in Afghanistan. It still has a foothold there, despite government officials claiming last year that the group's local affiliate - known as Islamic State Khorasan - had been completely defeated in the province.

Nangarhar had already seen deadly attacks this year, including a 12 May suicide bomb that killed 32 mourners at a funeral for a police commander.

More News For this Category

Mass transfer of police from Cox`s Bazar was needed but won't work

An unprecedented mass transfer has taken place in Teknaf of southeastern Cox's Bazar district following an extrajudicial killing of a retired army officer, Major Sinha. This might have happened

Thousands of jobless Bangladeshi garment workers fear for future

Thomson Reuters Foundation :Thousands of Bangladeshi garment workers who lost their jobs due to the coronavirus pandemic are struggling to find work and are at risk of destitution without urgent

Taqsem reappointed Wasa MD for another three years

Staff Reporter :Engineer Taqsem A Khan's tenure as the managing director of Dhaka Wasa has been extended for the next three years, said additional secretary Mohammad Ibrahim of the Local

 Buyers crowd TCB sales centres amid soaring commodity prices

Buyers crowd TCB sales centres amid soaring commodity prices

Staff Reporter :People continue to queue up in front of the TCB's open market points to buy goods at subsidised rates amid soaring commodity prices in the market.Large gatherings at

Reckless driving HC asks Green Line Paribahan to pay Tk 20 lakh more to Russel

Staff Reporter :The High Court on Thursday ordered the Green Line Paribahan authorities to pay Tk 20 lakh more within three months to Russel Sarker, who lost his left leg

Closure of educational institutions extended again till Oct 31

Staff Reporter :The government has again extended the closure of educational institutions until October 31 to prevent the spread of coronavirus.M A Khayer, public relations officer of the Education Ministry

Alexei Navalny blames Vladimir Putin for poisoning him

Leading Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny says he believes President Vladimir Putin was responsible for his poisoning."I assert that Putin is behind this act, I don't see any other explanation,"

Country reports 21 more deaths from Covid-19

Staff Reporter :Bangladesh's confirmed coronavirus tally reached 364,987 on Thursday as health authorities recorded 1,506 cases in 24 hours.Twenty-one new deaths were also recorded during the period, taking the total

Trump backpedals over racist group row, Biden blasts him as 'embarrassment'

US President Donald Trump scrambled Wednesday to quell an uproar over his failure to explicitly denounce white supremacist groups during his debate debacle with Joe Biden, who branded his election

MC College rape DNA samples of six accused collected

Sylhet Bureau  :The samples of six rapists, arrested in connection over the gang-rape of a young woman at MC College Hostel in Sylhet city, have been collected for DNA tests.