Monday, October 26, 2020 | ePaper

Pakistan's Akmal has three-year cricket ban halved on appeal

  • Print


AFP, Lahore :
Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal's three-year ban from cricket for failing to report a match-fixing approach was on Wednesday reduced to 18 months on appeal, meaning he can resume playing in August next year.
Former Pakistan supreme court judge and independent adjudicator Faqir Mohammad Khokhar announced the appeal result, which had been reserved two weeks ago, after a short hearing in Lahore attended by Akmal and his lawyer.
Akmal pleaded guilty in April to a charge of failing to report two match-fixing approaches and received a three-year ban for each offence, to run concurrently from February 20.
The anti-corruption code of Pakistan Cricket Board states that players must report all the corrupt approaches to the authorities.
Despite the reduction, Akmal complained he had been unfairly treated.
"I am still not satisfied because other players got less punishment on the same charge," Umar told media, referring to a one-year ban (six months suspended) handed to fast bowler Mohammad Irfan in 2017.
Irfan had not contested the charge of failing to report and was given an "agreed sanction".
"I will consult my lawyers and then try to get it reduced further," Akmal said.
Following a brilliant Test debut in 2009 when he scored a century in New Zealand, the talented Akmal was touted as a future great but his career has been punctuated by controversy before this year's ban.
Akmal was arrested in 2014 after a scuffle with a traffic warden in Lahore.
And he was banned for three matches and fined over a spat with Pakistan head coach Mickey Arthur in 2017.


More News For this Category

Kolkata boost play-off hope in IPL

Kolkata boost play-off hope in IPL

Agency :Spinner Varun Chakravarthy claimed this Indian Premier League (IPL) season's first five-wicket haul as Kolkata Knight Riders gave their play-off hope a boost with a 59-run win over

Sabalenka wins 12 straight games in crazy Ostrava comeback

Sabalenka wins 12 straight games in crazy Ostrava comeback

AFP, Prague :Aryna Sabalenka staged a spectacular comeback against Spanish qualifier Sara Sorribes Tormo to reach the semi-finals of the Ostrava Open WTA tournament on Friday.The powerful Belarusian lost

Tokyo opens Olympic aquatics centre

Tokyo opens Olympic aquatics centre

AFP, Tokyo  :Tokyo opened a 15,000-seat swimming venue for the Olympic Games next year on Saturday, with a swimming star diagnosed with leukaemia last year demonstrating freestyle at the

Marcel-BSPA Sports Carnival kicks-off on October 27

Sports Reporter :The Marcel-BSPA Sports Carnival kicks-off on October 27 at Shaheed Tajuddin Indoor Stadium in Paltan Ground. Bangladesh Sports Press Association (BSPA) will arrange the sports carnival with

Kapil Dev stable after emergency coronary angioplasty due to chest pain

Kapil Dev, the former India World Cup-winning captain, is stable after undergoing a coronary angioplasty surgery at the Fortis Hospital in New Delhi late Thursday night due to chest

Ansar and VDP emerge champions in 'Mujib Borsho' Fed Cup Taekwondo

Bangladesh Ansar and VDP taekwondo team emerged the team event champions in 'Mujib Borsho' Federation Cup Taekwondo competition that concluded on Friday at Mohammadpur Taekwondo Club in the city.

Bengal Tigers observe 17th founding anniv

Sports Reporter :The Bengal Tigers observed its 17th founding anniversary at the press box in the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium, Mirpur on Wednesday. Bengal Tigers is the first fan

Najmul XI face Mahmudullah XI in final on Sunday

Sports Reporter :Najmul XI will face Mahmudullah XI in the final of the BCB President's Cup at the Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in the city's Mirpur on Sunday. The

World 400m champion Salwa’s  anti-doping violation charges dismissed

World 400m champion Salwa’s anti-doping violation charges dismissed

World 400m champion Salwa Eid Naser has had her anti-doping violation charges dismissed by the World Athletics Disciplinary Tribunal.The Bahraini, 22, was provisionally suspended in June after being charged with

Nadal to play Paris Masters next month

Nadal to play Paris Masters next month

AFP, Paris  :Rafael Nadal announced on Tuesday that he will compete in the Paris Masters next month, despite previously saying he might not play again this season.The 34-year-old won a