BBC Online : Wimbledon champion Simona Halep says she is still a "little bit worried" about playing in this year's US Open. With Wimbledon cancelled because of the coronavirus pandemic, the US Open is set to be the first Grand Slam played since the tennis tours were suspended. The event will be played behind closed doors in New York from 31 August. On her US Open plans, Halep told the BBC's Wimbledon: The Best of the Championships: "It will be a little difficult, it depends on restrictions." The world number two said she was "a little bit worried to make that move". Halep, 28, said in June she was unsure whether she would play at Flushing Meadows, but added her plans were "not set in stone". On Tuesday, she said: "I have no idea at the moment because nobody knows what is going to happen after this month. "I will wait to see what is being decided, see what the other players will do." Having been suspended since March, the WTA Tour plans to resume on 3 August with the Palermo Open in Italy. Halep hopes to play in that event, saying she "needs some matches" having not picked up a racquet for two months earlier in the lockdown. She has been enjoying "normal things" and has lived a lockdown life like many have done: listening to music, reading more books and checking what is happening in the world on the internet. "It was the longest break in my life," she said. "I told everyone I was going to put a racquet away and lead a normal life.â€
Editor: A.M. MUFAZZAL, Managing Editor: ARSHAD HOSEIN.
Printed and published by MAINUL HOSEIN from the New Nation Printing Press. The New Nation, 1 R.K. Mission Road,
Ittefaq Bhaban (3rdfloor),
Phones: PABX: 47115875, 47115879, 47114514, Fax : 880-2-47115865,
Email: For News: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com, For Advertisement firstname.lastname@example.org