Sunday, May 31, 2020 | ePaper

Queen agrees 'transition' to new role for Harry and Meghan

  • Print


Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan, Duchess of Sussex, leave Canada House in London, Britain January 7, 2020. Reuters



The Queen has agreed a "period of transition" in which the Duke and Duchess of Sussex will spend time in Canada and the UK.
She said she was "entirely supportive" of their desire for a new role but "would have preferred" them to remain full-time working royals.
She expected final decisions to be made in the coming days, she said.
Senior royals have been in talks about Prince Harry and Meghan's role after they said they wanted to "step back".
In a statement, the Queen said the talks at Sandringham, which also involved the Prince of Wales and the Duke of Cambridge, had been "very constructive".
"My family and I are entirely supportive of Harry and Meghan's desire to create a new life as a young family," she said.
"Although we would have preferred them to remain full-time working members of the Royal Family, we respect and understand their wish to live a more independent life as a family while remaining a valued part of my family."
She said it had been agreed there would be "a period of transition in which the Sussexes will spend time in Canada and the UK" after Harry and Meghan "made clear that they do not want to be reliant on public funds in their new lives".
"These are complex matters for my family to resolve, and there is some more work to be done, but I have asked for final decisions to be reached in the coming days," she said.
The urgent talks were convened after the Sussexes surprised the rest of the Royal Family on Wednesday with a statement expressing their desire to "step back as 'senior' members of the Royal Family".
They also said they wanted a "progressive new role" within the institution, where they would be financially independent and divide their time between the UK and North America.
Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau told Global News there had been "no discussions" about the details of the couple's move, including on the issues of security and any potential impact on Canada's taxpayers.
Although no other family member was consulted about the timing of the announcement, the duke and duchess said it came after "many months of reflection and internal discussions".
Both Prince Harry and Meghan spoke of the difficulties of royal life and media attention in recent months, with the duke saying he feared his wife would fall victim to "the same powerful forces" that led to his mother's death.
The talks about their future took place as Prince Harry and Prince William issued a joint statement denying "false claims" that their relationship had been damaged by "bullying" on the part of the older brother.
They said that the "inflammatory language" in the claims was "offensive" and "potentially harmful", given their support for mental health causes.
This is a remarkably candid and informal, almost personal, statement from the Queen.
Her regret over Harry and Meghan's move is obvious - she would have preferred them to stay in their current roles.
But she also makes clear that they are still royals and that they will be valued in the family as they become a more independent couple.
There are buckets of questions outstanding - on their future royal role, their relationship with the rest of the Palace, on who will pay what (not, the Queen says, the taxpayer), and on how Harry and Meghan will support themselves.
There's still a lot to thrash out and to agree on. Not all of it may become public.
And it looks like the Queen sees this as a process, not an event. She writes of a transition period when Harry and Meghan divide their time between Canada and the UK.
The Queen has asked for decisions to be made over the next few days. But those decisions may well be up for review in the coming months and years.
Historian Robert Lacey told the BBC Radio 4's PM programme the Queen's statement following the meeting was unusually personal, with several references to "my family" and "my grandson".
"It is remarkably hands-on. I mean it may have been processed through officials but this is the Queen, speaking to her people and speaking about her family, and I think coming right through it is the concern she feels," he said.
Instead of using the formal titles of the couple - the Duke and Duchess of Sussex - the Queen simply called them "Harry and Meghan".
Penny Junor, an author of books about the royals, said that the statement "read to me like a grandmother talking about the family", adding that it would "take the pressure off" the duke and duchess.
"I think they're in a very vulnerable state at the moment. I think they're unhappy, they feel isolated and unloved, unappreciated and they needed careful handling," she said.
"My reading from that statement is that the family has been sensitive to their vulnerability."
It came after an interview last October, when Prince Harry and Meghan publicly revealed their struggles under the media spotlight.
The duke also issued an impassioned statement attacking what he described as "relentless propaganda" in parts of the media, as lawyers for his wife began legal action against the Mail on Sunday.
The couple were already preparing to launch their own Sussex Royal charity, which they set up after splitting from the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's foundation in June last year.
It was revealed in December that the couple had made an application to trademark their Sussex Royal brand for items including books, calendars, clothing, charitable fundraising, education and social care services. -- Source : bbc.com


More News For this Category

Trains, launches resume services amid COVID-19 fears

Trains, launches resume services amid COVID-19 fears

Services on the rail and waterways have restarted after a 66-day shutdown amid fears that it could aggravate the coronavirus outbreak in BangladeshHowever, the resumption of these transport services is

Bangladesh announces 60% hike in bus fares

Bangladesh announces 60% hike in bus fares

Bangladesh government on Sunday announced a 60% hike in fares for long-haul buses and minibuses to cover losses for transport owners hit by the coronavirus pandemic.The Road Transport and Highways

DGHS reports 40 more deaths, 2,545 new cases

DGHS reports 40 more deaths, 2,545 new cases

Bangladesh reports 40 deaths from coronavirus, the biggest fatalities so far from the virus in a single-day on Sunday. Besides it also confirmed detection of 2,545 cases in the same

'Unacceptable': Plan to hike bus fares by 80pc draws flak

'Unacceptable': Plan to hike bus fares by 80pc draws flak

The government's plans to increase transport fares by 80 percent while halving the passenger load have been met with widespread criticism as buses begin to hit the roads again after

Pass rate in SSC, equivalent exams rises to 82.87%

Pass rate in SSC, equivalent exams rises to 82.87%

The pass rate in SSC and equivalent exams has risen to 82.87 percent, according to results announced by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.This year, 1.6 million students passed the exams among

BRTA recommends 80 pc hike in bus fare

Staff Reporter :Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) has recommended raising bus fare by 80 percent as owners have been directed to carry 50 per cent passengers to curb the spread

CAB terms proposed bus fare hike 'unacceptable'

Staff Reporter :Terming the proposed bus fare hike "unacceptable", Consumers Association of Bangladesh (CAB) on Saturday in press statement said it is not a considerate decision, and urged the government

Launch, steamer resume operations on 34 river routes

Launch, steamer resume operations on 34 river routes

Staff Reporter  :After the suspension for over two months, launch and steamer services will resume on 34 river routes across the country from Sunday amid the coronavirus outbreak.AKM Arif Uddin,

Trump terminates US relationship with WHO

BBC News :US President Donald Trump has announced that he is terminating the country's relationship with the World Health Organization (WHO).The president has accused the WHO of failing to hold

 Rakibul's family wanted to pay Tk 10 lakh as ransom

Rakibul's family wanted to pay Tk 10 lakh as ransom

News Desk  :Although his family agreed to pay Tk 10 lakh as ransom, the human traffickers did not spare Rakibul as he was killed along with 25 other Bangladeshis in