Sunday, May 31, 2020 | ePaper

Saudi bus accident kills 35 foreigners

  • Print
AFP, Riyadh :
Thirty-five foreigners were killed and four others injured when a bus collided with another heavy vehicle near the Muslim holy city of Medina, Saudi state media said on Thursday.
The accident on Wednesday involved a collision between "a private chartered bus... with a heavy vehicle (loader)" near the western Saudi Arabian city, a spokesman for Medina police said, according to the official Saudi Press Agency.
Those involved were Arab and Asian pilgrims, according to local media, who carried pictures of the bus engulfed in flames and with its windows blown out.
The injured have been transferred to Al-Hamna Hospital, SPA added, and authorities have launched an investigation.
The accident comes after four British pilgrims were killed and 12 others injured   in Saudi Arabia when their bus collided with a fuel tanker in April 2018. They were on their way to the holy city of Mecca.
In January 2017, six Britons, including a two-month-old baby, were killed in a minibus on their way to Medina after making a pilgrimage to Mecca.
As part of efforts to diversify its oil-dependent economy, the ultra-conservative kingdom wants to foster a year-round religious tourism sector that includes millions of pilgrims.
Up until last month, the country only issued visas to Muslim pilgrims, foreign workers and recently to spectators at sporting or cultural events, but tourists are now allowed to visit as part of the drive to prepare the biggest Arab economy for a post-oil era.
In September 2015, a stampede killed up to 2,300 worshippers-including hundreds of Iranians-in the worst disaster ever to strike the Hajj annual pilgrimage.
Earlier that month, 100 people were killed when a construction crane toppled into a courtyard of Mecca's Grand Mosque.

More News For this Category

Trains, launches resume services amid COVID-19 fears

Trains, launches resume services amid COVID-19 fears

Services on the rail and waterways have restarted after a 66-day shutdown amid fears that it could aggravate the coronavirus outbreak in BangladeshHowever, the resumption of these transport services is

Bangladesh announces 60% hike in bus fares

Bangladesh announces 60% hike in bus fares

Bangladesh government on Sunday announced a 60% hike in fares for long-haul buses and minibuses to cover losses for transport owners hit by the coronavirus pandemic.The Road Transport and Highways

DGHS reports 40 more deaths, 2,545 new cases

DGHS reports 40 more deaths, 2,545 new cases

Bangladesh reports 40 deaths from coronavirus, the biggest fatalities so far from the virus in a single-day on Sunday. Besides it also confirmed detection of 2,545 cases in the same

'Unacceptable': Plan to hike bus fares by 80pc draws flak

'Unacceptable': Plan to hike bus fares by 80pc draws flak

The government's plans to increase transport fares by 80 percent while halving the passenger load have been met with widespread criticism as buses begin to hit the roads again after

Pass rate in SSC, equivalent exams rises to 82.87%

Pass rate in SSC, equivalent exams rises to 82.87%

The pass rate in SSC and equivalent exams has risen to 82.87 percent, according to results announced by Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina.This year, 1.6 million students passed the exams among

BRTA recommends 80 pc hike in bus fare

Staff Reporter :Bangladesh Road Transport Authority (BRTA) has recommended raising bus fare by 80 percent as owners have been directed to carry 50 per cent passengers to curb the spread

CAB terms proposed bus fare hike 'unacceptable'

Staff Reporter :Terming the proposed bus fare hike "unacceptable", Consumers Association of Bangladesh (CAB) on Saturday in press statement said it is not a considerate decision, and urged the government

Launch, steamer resume operations on 34 river routes

Launch, steamer resume operations on 34 river routes

Staff Reporter  :After the suspension for over two months, launch and steamer services will resume on 34 river routes across the country from Sunday amid the coronavirus outbreak.AKM Arif Uddin,

Trump terminates US relationship with WHO

BBC News :US President Donald Trump has announced that he is terminating the country's relationship with the World Health Organization (WHO).The president has accused the WHO of failing to hold

 Rakibul's family wanted to pay Tk 10 lakh as ransom

Rakibul's family wanted to pay Tk 10 lakh as ransom

News Desk  :Although his family agreed to pay Tk 10 lakh as ransom, the human traffickers did not spare Rakibul as he was killed along with 25 other Bangladeshis in