Tuesday, August 11, 2020 | ePaper

$5 m gold toilet from Britain's Blenheim Palace stolen

  • Print


Reuters,  London :
Burglars have stolen a fully-functional 18-carat gold toilet from Britain's Blenheim Palace, where it had been installed as an art exhibit, police said on Saturday.
The toilet, valued at more than $5 million, was part of an exhibition of work by Italian conceptual artist Maurizio Cattelan which opened two days ago at the stately home 60 miles west of London, a major tourist attraction.
The toilet, named "America", was previously on display in a cubicle at New York's Guggenheim Museum, where more than 100,000 visitors were able to use it.
Thieves with at least two vehicles broke into the palace, the birthplace of World War Two leader Winston Churchill, and removed the toilet some time before 5 a.m. (0400 GMT), Thames Valley Police said.
"Due to the toilet being plumbed in to the building, this has caused significant damage and flooding," Detective Inspector Jess Milne added in a public statement.
Police said they had arrested one 66-year-old man in connection with the theft, but had not recovered the artwork.
Blenheim Palace said it was saddened by the loss of the "precious" artwork, which it said and that the rest of the exhibition would reopen on Sunday.
Last year, while the toilet was at the Guggenheim, the Washington Post reported that President Donald Trump turned down an offer from the museum to temporarily install the toilet for his personal use in the White House.

More News For this Category

Russia 1st country to register Covid-19 vaccine

Russia 1st country to register Covid-19 vaccine

AP, Moscow: Russian President Vladimir Putin says that a coronavirus vaccine developed in the country has been registered for use and one of his daughters has already been inoculated.Speaking at

Garment workers seen losing up to $5.8 bln in wages during coronavirus

Garment workers seen losing up to $5.8 bln in wages during coronavirus

Reuters :Garment workers supplying global fashion brands have been underpaid or not paid at all during the coronavirus crisis, with lost wages potentially amounting to nearly $6 billion, researchers said

Bangladesh logs 2,996 daily virus cases, death toll nears 3,500

Bangladesh logs 2,996 daily virus cases, death toll nears 3,500

Bangladesh has recorded 2,996 new cases of COVID-19 in a daily count, taking the tally of infections to 263,503.The death toll from the disease climbed to 3,471 after 33 more

Bangladesh plans to cancel completion exams for fifth, eighth graders in pandemic

Bangladesh plans to cancel completion exams for fifth, eighth graders in pandemic

The government is planning to cancel the completion examinations for fifth and eighth graders schools and educational institutions across Bangladesh remained shut due to the coronavirus pandemic.The primary and mass

9pc of Dhaka residents infected with COVID-19: study

9pc of Dhaka residents infected with COVID-19: study

Nine percent of the population within the jurisdictions of Dhaka's bifurcated city corporations have been infected with COVID-19, a study has found.The survey, which ran from Apr 18 to Jul

Easy money does not change the law but it`s enforcement can be changed

The virtual High Court Bench of Justice Md Ashraful Kamal has made an observation that conducting cases by any lawyer from outside Bangladesh was illegal and unethical. The court

Mother cries for justice: Cox's Bazar SP must be brought to book, says RAOWA chairman

Mother cries for justice: Cox's Bazar SP must be brought to book, says RAOWA chairman

News Desk :Nasima Akhter, the mother of slain retired army major Sinha Md Rashed Khan, says she is satisfied with the ongoing investigation but expects such murder to never happen

Kotwali OC, 4 cops sued for extortion

Staff Reporter :A businessman on Monday filed a case with the chief metropolitan magistrate court in Dhaka against five policemen, including the officer-in-charge of Kotwali police station, on charges of

Shifat gets bail: Cases handed over to RAB

Shifat gets bail: Cases handed over to RAB

Our Correspondent :A Cox's Bazar court on Monday morning granted bail to Shahedul Islam Shifat, who was present when retired Major Sinha was shot, in two cases filed with Teknaf

 'Clear violation of law and contempt of court'

'Clear violation of law and contempt of court'

Gulam Rabbani :Question raised over the role of law enforcers in avoiding to arrest a murder accused, Pradeep Kumar Shaha, former Officer-in Charge (OC) of Teknaf Police Station, even after