Monday, December 16, 2019 | ePaper

Cristiano Ronaldo will not face rape charges in US

  • Print


AFP, Los Angeles :
Juventus star Cristiano Ronaldo will not face any charges over an alleged rape in Las Vegas a decade ago after US prosecutors said Monday they did not have enough evidence to proceed.
A district attorney in the state of Nevada said it would not prosecute the Portuguese soccer player because it "cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt" that a sexual assault occurred.
Kathryn Mayorga, a former model, alleges that Ronaldo raped her in a Las Vegas hotel in 2009.
The former Manchester United and Real Madrid forward reached a financial settlement with her one year after the incident.
He has always denied allegations of sexual assault, insisting their encounter was consensual.
The Clark County District Attorney's Office said it had received a report from Mayorga - who it identified only as "V" - on June 13, 2009, reporting that she had been the victim of a sexual assault.
Police could not conduct "any meaningful investigation" at the time because she declined to say who assaulted her or where it occurred, the office said in a statement.
As a result, detectives were "unable to search for and impound vital forensic evidence," and video showing Ronaldo and Mayorga together was lost, it added.
Mayorga contacted police in August of last year to ask that the case be reopened, at which point she named Ronaldo as the alleged assailant.
The case was reopened "in spite of the passage of over nine year," prosecutors said.
"Based upon a review of the information presented at this time, the allegations of sexual assault against Cristiano Ronaldo cannot be proven beyond a reasonable doubt," prosecutors said. "Therefore, no charges will be forthcoming."
Mayorga's attorney has stated that she agreed to an out-of-court settlement to keep her name from going public, but was later inspired to speak out by the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment.
Mayorga has also said that her emotional trauma at the time did not allow her to participate in the mediation process for the financial settlement.
Neither Ronaldo's nor Mayorga's lawyers responded to AFP's request for comment on the decision to end the investigation.
The player has yet to respond on social media.
In October last year, Ronaldo said he was "an exemplary person."
"I know who I am and what I did. The truth will come out," he told France Football magazine.
"And the people who criticize me and who expose my life today, who make a song and dance about it, these people will see."

More News For this Category

Barca pegged back by Real Sociedad after Ter Stegen error

Barca pegged back by Real Sociedad after Ter Stegen error

Barcelona gave Real Madrid the chance to go top of La Liga ahead of Wednesday's Clasico at Camp Nou as they were held to a 2-2 draw by high-flying Real

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah (3rd left) celebrates with teammates after scoring his sides first goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Watford at Anfield stadium in Liverpool, England on Saturday.

Liverpool's Mohamed Salah (3rd left) celebrates with teammates after scoring his sides first goal during the English Premier League soccer match between Liverpool and Watford at Anfield stadium in Liverpool, England on Saturday.

Salah stretches Liverpool lead to 10 as Leicester stumble

Liverpool tightened their grip on the Premier League title race thanks to two Mohamed Salah goals in a 2-0 win over Watford which extended their lead at the top to

Napoli beaten 2-1 by Parma in Gattuso's debut

Napoli beaten 2-1 by Parma in Gattuso's debut

AP, Rome :Gennaro Gattuso has his work cut out for him as Napoli's new coach.The Partenopei conceded an injury-time winner in a 2-1 loss at home to Parma on Saturday

3,000 police and security for rescheduled 'Clasico'

3,000 police and security for rescheduled 'Clasico'

Some 3,000 police officers and private security agents will be deployed for the rescheduled 'Clasico' between Barcelona and Real Madrid next week, local officials said Friday, amid renewed fears of

Argentine Lavezzi retires after 'amazing' and lucrative career

Argentine Lavezzi retires after 'amazing' and lucrative career

Argentine international forward Ezequiel Lavezzi confirmed on Friday that he was retiring from playing at the age of 34, ending "the most amazing phase life has given me."Lavezzi played 51

Rashford adds finishing touch to become complete striker

Rashford adds finishing touch to become complete striker

Marcus Rashford has always had the tools to become a world-class forward. Now he has added a clinical touch to his searing pace and box of tricks.The 22-year-old already has

Rooney admits frustration as he waits for Derby debut

Rooney admits frustration as he waits for Derby debut

Wayne Rooney has admitted his frustration at being forced to wait until January to play for Championship side Derby.The former Manchester United and England captain is unable to make his

Record buy Sanches keeps Lille on Champions League course

Record buy Sanches keeps Lille on Champions League course

AFP, Paris :Renato Sanches scored a spectacular late winner to give Lille a 2-1 victory over Montpellier on Friday as a fourth successive Ligue 1 triumph kept them on course

Greenwood, Saka star as United and Arsenal youth shine in Europa League

Greenwood, Saka star as United and Arsenal youth shine in Europa League

AFP, Paris :Teenager Mason Greenwood again grabbed his chances for Manchester United, scoring twice in a 4-0 thrashing of AZ Alkmaar in the Europa League on Thursday.Earlier Arsenal came