Wednesday, July 24, 2019 | ePaper

Iran denies US cyber attack ahead of new sanctions

  • Print


Iran has shown what it says is the debris of the US drone it shot down-a Global Hawk reconnaissance aircraft that costs more than $120 million.

AFP  :
Iran denied Monday it was hit by a US cyber attack as Washington was due to tighten sanctions on Tehran in a standoff sparked by the US withdrawal from a nuclear deal.
Both nations say they want to avoid going to war, but tensions have spiralled as a series of incidents, including tanker attacks and the shooting down of a US drone by Iran in the Gulf, raised fears of an unintended slide towards conflict.
The denial came as US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo arrived in Saudi Arabia for talks on the tensions with Iran and was also due to visit the United Arab Emirates for similar discussions.
US President Donald Trump called off a planned retaliatory military strike Friday after Iran said it had shot down an American surveillance drone the previous day near the strategic Strait of Hormuz.
Tehran says the drone violated Iranian airspace and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has backed the claim with maps and coordinates-allegations dismissed by Washington.
US media reports said Trump ordered a retaliatory cyber attack against Iranian missile control systems and a spy network after the drone was shot down.
But on Monday Iranian Telecommunications Minister Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi said no cyber attack against his country had ever succeeded.
"The media are asking about the veracity of the alleged cyber attack against Iran. No successful attack has been carried out by them, although they are making a lot of effort," he said on Twitter.
He acknowledged that Iran has "been facing cyber terrorism-such as Stuxnet-and unilateralism-such as sanctions", naming a virus believed to have been engineered by Israel and the US to damage nuclear facilities in Iran.
"We foiled last year not one attack but 33 million attacks with Dejpha shield," Azari Jahromi said, referring to a new internet defence system.
Iran last week warned that any US attack would see Washington's interests in the Middle East go up in flames.
Speaking to reporters as he left Washington, Pompeo called Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates "two great allies in the challenge that Iran presents".
"We'll be talking with them about how to make sure that we are all strategically aligned and how we can build out a global coalition," he said.
He reiterated Trump's offer of dialogue to improve relations with Iran, which the US administration has sought to isolate through harsh sanctions.
"We're prepared to negotiate with no preconditions. They know precisely how to find us," he said.
Pompeo also dismissed as "child-like" a map released Sunday by the Iranian foreign minister that purported to show a spy drone encroaching the Islamic republic's airspace in late May.
Trump, who spent Saturday huddling with his advisers, said he was ready to reach out to Iran if the country agreed to renounce nuclear weapons.
"When they agree to that, they're going to have a wealthy country. They're going to be so happy, and I'm going to be their best friend," he told reporters.

Iran has denied seeking a nuclear weapon, and says its programme is for civilian purposes.
With the US out of the deal, Iran has said it would reduce some of its nuclear commitments unless the remaining partners-Britain, China, France, Germany and Russia-help it circumvent US sanctions and sell its oil.
The landmark 2015 nuclear accord sought to curb Iran's nuclear ambitions in exchange for sanctions relief.
Trump left that agreement more than a year ago and has imposed a robust slate of punitive economic sanctions designed to choke off Iranian oil sales and cripple its economy-which he now plans to expand.
"We are putting major additional Sanctions on Iran on Monday," tweeted Trump, who has also deployed additional troops to the Middle East.
"I look forward to the day that Sanctions come off Iran, and they become a productive and prosperous nation again - The sooner the better!"
The downing of the US drone came after a series of attacks on tankers in the congested shipping lanes of the Gulf, which Washington has blamed on Tehran.
Meanwhile, the Riyadh-led military coalition in Yemen said Iran-aligned Huthi rebels had attacked a civilian airport in southern Saudi Arabia, killing one civilian and wounding 21 others.
Riyadh has repeatedly accused Iran of supplying sophisticated weapons to the Huthis, who have launched cross-border attacks on facilities inside Saudi Arabia.
Iran has denied attacking tankers or supplying the Huthis.

More News For this Category

Pope urges concrete measures to protect Syrian civilians

Pope urges concrete measures to protect Syrian civilians

AP, Vatican City :Pope Francis has sent Syrian President Bashar Assad a letter expressing his "profound concern" for the humanitarian situation in Syria and in particular the plight of civilians

Iran to meet with nuclear partners amid tanker crisis

Iran to meet with nuclear partners amid tanker crisis

AFP, Tehran  :Iran said Tuesday it will attend an urgent meeting with countries still party to the troubled nuclear deal, as it declared itself the "guardian of security" in the

Trump praises Pakistan's role in ‘progress’ on Afghan peace

Trump praises Pakistan's role in ‘progress’ on Afghan peace

President Donald Trump on Monday hailed Pakistan's help in advancing peace talks in Afghanistan, a marked shift in tone as the United States seeks an accord with the Taliban to

Airstrikes kill 50 civilians in Syria's northwest

Airstrikes kill 50 civilians in Syria's northwest

AFP, Maaret al-Numan (Syria) : Regime and Russian air strikes killed 50 people in northwest Syria on Monday, most of them in a crowded market, a war monitor said, in the

‘South Korea fired hundreds of shots at Russian jet in its airspace’

‘South Korea fired hundreds of shots at Russian jet in its airspace’

Reuters, Seoul  :South Korean warplanes fired hundreds of warning shots at a Russian military aircraft that entered South Korean airspace on Tuesday, defence officials in Seoul said, with Chinese bombers

News In Brief

UAE not leaving war-torn Yemen despite drawdownAFP, DubaiThe United Arab Emirates, part of a Saudi-led military coalition, is not leaving war-torn Yemen despite an ongoing drawdown and redeployment of Emirati

Anger soars over vicious mob attack on Hong Kong protesters

Anger soars over vicious mob attack on Hong Kong protesters

AFP :Anger soared in Hong Kong on Monday over a vicious assault on pro-democracy protesters by suspected triad gangsters that left dozens wounded, a dramatic escalation of the political turmoil

UK leadership favourite Johnson hits more turmoil on last voting day

UK leadership favourite Johnson hits more turmoil on last voting day

AFP :Britain's leadership contest entered its finale Monday with the favourite Boris Johnson facing more defections from ministers over his Brexit plan.The month-long contest between former London mayor Johnson and

Zelensky party heads for absolute majority in Ukraine

Zelensky party heads for absolute majority in Ukraine

AFP :Ukraine's comedian-turned-president Volodymyr Zelensky is set to control an absolute majority in parliament, ushering in a generational shift in the ex-Soviet country's political arena.The 41-year-old became Ukraine's youngest ever

Israeli forces surround demolition-threatened Palestinian homes

AFP . Jerusalem :Israeli forces surrounded a number of Palestinian homes it considers illegal south of Jerusalem early Monday, an AFP journalist saw, ahead of expected demolitions that have drawn