Wednesday, November 13, 2019 | ePaper

Minimum age of FFs

HC verdict upheld

  • Print
Staff Reporter :
The Supreme Court (SC) chamber judge on Wednesday upheld a High Court verdict that declared illegal the government circulars and gazette notifications fixing the minimum age of freedom fighters at 12 and a half years in 1971. As the Chamber Judge of the Appellate Division Justice Md Nuruzzaman did not pass any order on a petition filed by the government seeking stay on the HC judgment, the High Court verdict will remain in force.
Justice Md Nuruzzaman, however, sent the government petition to the full bench of the Appellate Division for its hearing on June 23.
Attorney General Mahbubey Alam appeared for the government while Barrister ABM Altaf Hossain argued for the writ petitioner.
Following 15 separate writ petitions filed by several freedom fighters, the HC on May 19 declared the circulars and gazette notifications fixing the minimum age of freedom fighters at 12 and a half years in 1971 illegal and unconstitutional.
According to a gazette notification issued on January 17 last year by the Liberation War Affairs Ministry, people who were at least 12 and a half on November 30, 1971 would be eligible to apply for the status of a freedom fighter.
Earlier in November 2016, the Ministry of Liberation War Affairs issued another circular and gazette notification imposing the minimum age of freedom fighters at 13 on March 26, 1971.
The government has so far changed the definition of freedom fighters 10 times and their list six times since the country's independence. A scrutiny of the war heroes' list is currently underway.
Earlier on May 19, HC said in its verdict that the definition of the freedom fighters was determined by the President's Order 94 of 1972. It can be changed only by the Parliament, not by a circular or gazette.
The President's Order 94 of 1972 does not allow the government to fix or re-fix the age of the freedom fighters, the HC said.

More News For this Category

Saudi govt. must punish their own people who are brutal with Bangladeshi maids

The latest tragic story of Sumi Akter who was mercilessly tortured yet she was not allowed to leave the job and return to her own country. Instead of her

Writ seeks probe into allegation against SP Harun

Court Correspondent :A writ petition was filed with the High Court on Tuesday seeking its directive to probe into the allegations of corruption and abuse of power against former Narayanganj

President's rule in Maharashtra

PTI,  New Delhi/Mumbai :President's rule was imposed in Maharashtra on Tuesday evening amid a political impasse, after Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari in a report to the Centre stated that formation

Fatal train crash in Kasba

Fatal train crash in Kasba

Staff Reporter :At least 16 passengers were killed and more than 100 others injured as Dhaka-bound Intercity Train Turna Nishita Express crashed into Chattogram-bound Udayan Express from Sylhet at Mondobhag

Canada backs probe into Rohingya genocide

Anadolu Agency, Trenton, Canada :Canada on Monday lauded Gambia's bid to bring Myanmar to court to answer genocide charges against its Rohingya minority."Canada welcomes Gambia's submission to the International Court

Crops worth Tk 2.63b destoryed by cyclone

Staff Reporter :Crops worth Tk 2.63 billion have been damaged by cyclone Bulbul made landfall in the country on Saturday, says Minister for Agriculture Muhammad Abdur Razzaque."The losses were incurred

Councillor Monju sent to jail

A Dhaka court on Tuesday sent Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC) councillor Moynul Haque Monju to jail after end of his 10-day remand in two cases filed for possessing illegal

Shiv Sena ready to form govt in Maharashtra

NDTV, New Delhi :The Shiv Sena's plans to take power in Maharashtra after ending its alliance with long-term partner BJP are on hold with the Congress holding the key. Sharad

HC forms judicial body to probe into negligence to prevent dengue

Staff Reporter :The High Court on Tuesday formed a two-member judicial committee to probe into the reasons for failure of the concerned authorities to take appropriate measures for the eradication

Miscreants loot 20kg gold from Benapole Customs godown

Benapole Correspondent :A group of miscreants have looted 20 kg gold from Benapole Customs House godown after breaking its confidential vault on Monday. However, Customs authorities confirmed that dollar and