Sunday, July 21, 2019 | ePaper

Sudan opposition chief demands unbiased probe on protest crackdown

  • Print


Sudanese opposition leader and former premier Sadiq al-Mahdi attends Friday prayers at a mosque linked to his National Umma Party in Khartoum's twin city of Omdurman on Friday.

AFP, Omdourman :
Sudan's veteran opposition leader Sadiq al-Mahdi called on Friday for an "objective" international investigation into last week's deadly crackdown on protesters, after the ruling military council rejected such a probe.
Mahdi's call was backed by top US envoy Tibor Nagy, who urged an "independent and credible" investigation into the June 3 killings.
Thousands of protesters who had camped outside the army headquarters in central Khartoum for weeks were dispersed in an operation which left dozens dead.
The crackdown followed the collapse of talks between protest leaders and generals, following the ouster of president Omar al-Bashir.
The generals had repeatedly pledged they would not disperse the sit-in, but on Thursday admitted that "mistakes" had been made.
Mahdi, speaking after attending Friday prayers at a mosque in Khartoum's twin city of Omdurman, condemned the operation.
"The protest's dispersal was wrong. There should be an independent international investigation into it," he told news agency AFP.
"It's important that the probe is objective and not biased in favour of the authorities."
Mahdi's elected government was toppled in a 1989 coup led by Bashir, who then ruled for three decades before being ousted in April following mass protests.
Nagy, the US assistant secretary of state for Africa, also called for an investigation.
"The USA believe very strongly there has to be an investigation which is independent and credible which will hold accountable those committing the egregious events," he said in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, after a two-day visit to Khartoum.
Along with the newly-appointed US special envoy to Sudan, Donald Booth, Nagy met with military council chief General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan on Thursday.
The June 3 crackdown left about 120 people dead and hundreds wounded, according to doctors linked to protesters, while the health ministry put the death toll at 61.
The protest movement has also called for an international probe, something rejected by the military council.
"We do not accept an international investigating committee. We are a sovereign state," council spokesman Shamseddine Kabbashi told reporters late Thursday.
Expressing "regret" over the crackdown, Kabbashi said the plan had been to clear an area close to the sit-in - but "excesses happened".
He said the military is carrying out its own inquiry, whose findings are to be released on Saturday.
On Friday, worshippers at the mosque linked to Mahdi's National Umma Party appeared frustrated with the generals' version of the crackdown.
"The way the sit-in was dispersed was harsh and unacceptable," said Salim Gebril, a university professor and member of the National Umma Party.
"They (the military rulers) keep saying they are looking forward to reaching an agreement (with the protest leaders) but their tone sounded as if they may take another route."
Another worshipper, Abdelrahman Amir al-Tom, found the military council's statement to be "extremely disappointing".
Protest leaders and generals have now agreed to resume talks after mediation led by Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.
Mahdi believes the mediation "may have a positive impact," and may help both sides overcome the differences.

More News For this Category

Thousands rally in support of Hong Kong police

Thousands rally in support of Hong Kong police

AP, Hong Kong :Tens of thousands of people rallied in support of Hong Kong's police and pro-Beijing leadership on Saturday, a vivid illustration of the polarisation coursing through the city

Mueller probe witness now faces child sex trafficking charge

AP, Alexandria :A businessman who served as a key witness in special counsel Robert Mueller's investigation now faces a charge of child sex trafficking in addition to transporting child pornography.An

US offers $7m to find Hezbollah agent as Pompeo visits Argentina

US offers $7m to find Hezbollah agent as Pompeo visits Argentina

AFP, Buenos Aires :The United States on Friday offered a $7 million reward to find a Hezbollah operative accused of masterminding a deadly 1994 attack on a Jewish center in

Pentagon intelligence chief says Iran does not want war

Pentagon intelligence chief says Iran does not want war

AP, Aspen :As tensions in the Persian Gulf continued to ramp up on Friday afternoon amid news that Iran had seized a British oil tanker in the Strait of Hormuz,

Boris Johnson 'will do a great job as PM': Trump

AP, Washington :US President Donald Trump has said Boris Johnson would do "a great job" as UK prime minister and they would have "a very good relationship"."He's a different kind

News In Brief

Germany marks 75th anniv of plot to kill HitlerAP, Berlin Germany is marking the 75th anniversary of the most famous plot to kill Adolf Hitler, paying tribute to the conspirators

Pakistan to grant consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav

Pakistan to grant consular access to Kulbhushan Jadhav

AFP, New Delhi :Pakistan will grant consular access to Indian national Kulbhushan Jadhav according to its laws, Pakistan foreign ministry said in a late night statement.The ministry also said

Pence announces sanctions on Iranian-linked leaders in Iraq

Pence announces sanctions on Iranian-linked leaders in Iraq

AP, Washington :Vice President Mike Pence said Thursday that the United States is imposing sanctions on the leaders of two Iranian-linked militia groups in Iraq."Let me be clear, the

Somali-born lawmaker brands Trump 'fascist' after rally taunt

Somali-born lawmaker brands Trump 'fascist' after rally taunt

AFP, Washington  :Democratic congresswoman Ilhan Omar branded Donald Trump a "fascist" on Thursday as the president sought to distance himself from mocking chants of "Send her back!" directed at

UN reaches agreement with Yemen rebels to resume food deliveries

UN reaches agreement with Yemen rebels to resume food deliveries

AFP, United Nations :The World Food Program has reached an agreement in principle with Yemen's Huthi rebels to resume food aid to areas they control, the agency's chief said