Wednesday, April 24, 2019 | ePaper

Taliban killed 33 troops, police in Afghan army post

  • Print
AP, Kabul :
A devastating Taliban attack over the weekend on an Afghan army outpost in southern Helmand province killed 26 soldiers and seven policemen, a provincial official said Monday - casualties the country's defense ministry has refused to disclose. Separately, the United Nations said Monday that a NATO airstrike over the weekend in northern Kunduz province killed 13 civilians, including 10 children.
NATO did not comment on the strike and it was not immediately clear if it was related to fighting Friday on the outskirts of the city of Kunduz, the provincial capital, in which two U.S. soldiers were killed.
The attacks - and the fact they were not reported by the embattled Afghan government - underscore the challenges in efforts to resolve Afghanistan's 17-year war, America's longest. The Taliban stage near-daily attacks on Afghan forces, inflicting staggering casualties, even as they hold peace talks with the United States.
According to Helmand council chief, Attahullah Afghan, the attack on the army outpost took place in Sangin district on Friday. Along with 33 fatalities, he told The Associated Press at least 31 soldiers were wounded.
The Taliban claimed the attack a day later but the government remained silent. On Monday, Afghan military spokesman Nawab Shah said only that government jets had aided the besieged troops and eventually sent reinforcements to Helmand, an old Taliban heartland. He refused to discuss casualties.
A second Taliban attack in Helmand targeted a public ceremony on Saturday in the provincial capital, Lashkar Gah, killing at least four people, including a provincial official, said Omar Zwak, spokesman for the Helmand governor.
Yet another attack in Helmand, this one on Sunday, killed five policemen, said Zwak.
Following the airstrike in northern Kunduz province, residents of the area held a protest, carrying several of the bodies. The airstrike was apparently in support of Afghan troops battling the Taliban, the U.N. statement said.
Earlier this month, Washington's special envoy Zalmay Khalilzad and the Taliban held a 13-day round of peace talks in Qatar, where the Taliban have an office. The next round of talks is expected within the coming weeks.
The talks have sidelined Afghan President Ashraf Ghani's government. Also, Khalilzad has been pressing the Taliban to declare a cease-fire, something the insurgents have refused to do.
Also Monday, a bomb went off outside a clinic in the eastern city of Jalalabad, wounding six people, all of them women and children, said Attahullah Khogyani, spokesman for the Nangarhar provincial governor.
No group immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but both the Taliban and the Islamic State group are active in the area.


More News For this Category

Don't take ISIS claim seriously and be misled

It is most shocking and heartbreaking to the deaths of so many innocent people in Sri Lanka as a result of a series of terrorist attacks on churches and

Sri Lanka mourns as death toll rises to 329

Sri Lanka mourns as death toll rises to 329

Channel NewsAsia, Colombo :The death toll from a string of deadly suicide bomb attacks in Sri Lanka has risen to 329, with several people dying of their injuries overnight, a

Security forces alerted

Md Joynal Abedin Khan :Law enforcing forces, including intelligence agencies, have been asked to guard the embassies, airports, churches, temples and other public places so that no tragedy happens in

IS claims responsibility for Lanka bombings

Reuters, Cairo :Islamic state has claimed responsibility for coordinated bombings in Sri Lanka which killed 321 people and injured about 500 others, the group's AMAQ news agency said on Tuesday.The

Lankan cricketer recounts church bombing horror

AFP :Sri Lankan cricketer Dasun Shanaka barely survived one of the deadly blasts that killed more than 320 people in the island nation on Easter Sunday, and says the horrific

NZ PM Ardern issues statement on Lanka, draws comparisons to Christchurch attacks

TV NZ :Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern issued a statement on Tuesday night condemning the Easter Sunday terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka and drawing comparisons to last month's Christchurch mosques shootings.Officials

Zayan`s body to reach home from Lanka today

Zayan`s body to reach home from Lanka today

The body of Awami League Presidium Member Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim's grandson Zayan Chowdhury, a minor child who was killed in the deadly Sri Lanka blasts, will be flown home

Pains still there

Special CorrespondentĀ  :Today is the sixth anniversary of the Rana Plaza building collapse, the biggest industrial disaster in Bangladesh's history, which killed more than 1,130 and injured around 2,500 workers,

HC won't interfere PBI probe right now

Staff Reporter :The High Court (HC) on Tuesday said, the investigation into the case filed over the murder of Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi is going on in the

Students of 7 Colleges affiliated with Dhaka University blocked the busy Nilkhet and New Market roads on Tuesday to press home their 5-point demands including separate administrative building.

Students of 7 Colleges affiliated with Dhaka University blocked the busy Nilkhet and New Market roads on Tuesday to press home their 5-point demands including separate administrative building.