Wednesday, April 24, 2019 | ePaper

NZ to hold nat'l remembrance for Christchurch on Friday

  • Print


People attend a vigil in tribute to the victims of the twin mosques shootings in Christchurch on March 24, 2019. Photo: AFP

AFP, Christchurch :
New Zealand will hold a national remembrance service for victims of the Christchurch massacre on March 29, the government announced on Sunday, as the country grieves over a tragedy that shocked the world.
The service will take place in Christchurch at 10 am (2100 GMT) local time, two weeks after an Australian white supremacist gunned down 50 Muslims and wounded dozens of others during Friday prayers at two mosques in the city on March 15. "The national remembrance service provides an opportunity for Cantabrians (Christchurch-area residents), New Zealanders and people all around the world to come together as one to honour the victims of the terrorist attack," Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said in a statement.
Brenton Tarrant, a 28-year-old motivated by the white extremist belief that Muslims were "invading"  
estern countries, was arrested within minutes of the massacre and has been charged with murder.
The slaughter, which he cold-bloodedly live-streamed, has rocked the normally laid-back country of 4.5 million.
"In the week since the unprecedented terror attack there has been an outpouring of grief and love in our country," Ardern said. "The service will be a chance to once again show that New Zealanders are compassionate, inclusive and diverse, and that we will protect those values."
The service will be held at Hagley Park in Christchurch, located across the street from the Al Noor Mosque where the killing spree began. Most victims were gunned down at Al Noor before Tarrant killed seven more at the smaller Linwood Mosque several kilometres (miles) away.

More News For this Category

Don't take ISIS claim seriously and be misled

It is most shocking and heartbreaking to the deaths of so many innocent people in Sri Lanka as a result of a series of terrorist attacks on churches and

Sri Lanka mourns as death toll rises to 329

Sri Lanka mourns as death toll rises to 329

Channel NewsAsia, Colombo :The death toll from a string of deadly suicide bomb attacks in Sri Lanka has risen to 329, with several people dying of their injuries overnight, a

Security forces alerted

Md Joynal Abedin Khan :Law enforcing forces, including intelligence agencies, have been asked to guard the embassies, airports, churches, temples and other public places so that no tragedy happens in

IS claims responsibility for Lanka bombings

Reuters, Cairo :Islamic state has claimed responsibility for coordinated bombings in Sri Lanka which killed 321 people and injured about 500 others, the group's AMAQ news agency said on Tuesday.The

Lankan cricketer recounts church bombing horror

AFP :Sri Lankan cricketer Dasun Shanaka barely survived one of the deadly blasts that killed more than 320 people in the island nation on Easter Sunday, and says the horrific

NZ PM Ardern issues statement on Lanka, draws comparisons to Christchurch attacks

TV NZ :Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern issued a statement on Tuesday night condemning the Easter Sunday terrorist attacks in Sri Lanka and drawing comparisons to last month's Christchurch mosques shootings.Officials

Zayan`s body to reach home from Lanka today

Zayan`s body to reach home from Lanka today

The body of Awami League Presidium Member Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim's grandson Zayan Chowdhury, a minor child who was killed in the deadly Sri Lanka blasts, will be flown home

Pains still there

Special Correspondent  :Today is the sixth anniversary of the Rana Plaza building collapse, the biggest industrial disaster in Bangladesh's history, which killed more than 1,130 and injured around 2,500 workers,

HC won't interfere PBI probe right now

Staff Reporter :The High Court (HC) on Tuesday said, the investigation into the case filed over the murder of Feni madrasa student Nusrat Jahan Rafi is going on in the

Students of 7 Colleges affiliated with Dhaka University blocked the busy Nilkhet and New Market roads on Tuesday to press home their 5-point demands including separate administrative building.

Students of 7 Colleges affiliated with Dhaka University blocked the busy Nilkhet and New Market roads on Tuesday to press home their 5-point demands including separate administrative building.