Monday, April 22, 2019 | ePaper

Osaka silent over ex-coach lawsuit as Miami Open begins

  • Print


AFP, Miami :
World number one Naomi Osaka refused on Wednesday to become embroiled in a dispute with one of her former coaches who is suing her for 20 percent of her career earnings.
Christophe Jean, who helped the Japanese two-time Grand Slam champion when she was a junior, wants at least $2 million of the $10 million of her earnings to date.
Jean insists Osaka's father, Leonard Francois, had signed a contract when he was coaching the 21-year-old and her sister Mari in 2011. Osaka told AFP she was "not allowed to say anything" about reports of the lawsuit, although sources close to the Japanese star stressed they are not fearful of the outcome and believe the matter will be resolved shortly.
When asked about the difficulty of dealing with the trappings of fame and becoming the world's top player, however, Osaka admitted she is still learning.
"I am still relatively new at this so I can't really say yet," she said. "But maybe as more time goes on I will be able to get a better grasp of the situation," she added.
TMZ, which reported the lawsuit, says Osaka attorney Alex Spiro calls Jean's claim "absurd" and adds: "This case has no merit and we will move past it."
Osaka spoke as tournament play began at the Miami Open, being staged at Hard Rock Stadium, home of the NFL's Miami Dolphins, for the first time after decades at Key Biscayne. After losing in the round of 16 while defending her title at Indian Wells, Osaka hopes to regain the form that has seen her win the past two Grand Slam titles at this year's Australian Open and last year's US Open.
"Everyone knows that Indian Wells and Miami are like two slams so I feel there is a lot of motivation to win these tournaments," Osaka said.
"Beating Serena Williams in Miami last year was such a good memory - the first time I had played her - and I came straight off winning Indian Wells. I just wanted to test myself against her and from then on it felt like a dream.
"To win here would mean so much. I grew up watching so many great players winning here and was actually in the stands for one of the finals. Just to come from being a kid in the audience to be the person holding the trophy would be special."
There have been 13 different winners in 13 WTA events so far this year, with Canadian teen Bianca Andreescu the first wildcard to win at Indian Wells.
Osaka, whose sister Mari was due to face American Whitney Osuigwe in the first round, is on her guard.
"Everyone is really motivated by whoever wins the week previous and you can see that," she said. "Everyone is at the same level so it comes down to who wants it the most and is willing to put in the work," she added.
The $72 million spent on turning a former Super Bowl stadium into a tennis venue has received good reviews from players.
A 5,191-seat main court - where former world number one Victoria Azarenka defeated Dominika Cibulkova 6-2, 3-6, 6-4 - has been created while two further show courts and eight other courts have been built on top of parking lots.

More News For this Category

Australia beat Belarus 3-2 to face France in Fed Cup final

Australia beat Belarus 3-2 to face France in Fed Cup final

AP, Australia :Australia advanced to the Fed Cup final for the first time in more than a quarter century after Ashleigh Barty and Samantha Stosur beat Aryna Sabalenka and Victoria

Meg Hemphill of Japan (center), Nadiah Alhaqqah of Kuwait (left) and Jeong Yeonjin of South Korea compete during Heat 1 for 100m hurdles race of the decathlon at the Asian Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar on Monday.

Meg Hemphill of Japan (center), Nadiah Alhaqqah of Kuwait (left) and Jeong Yeonjin of South Korea compete during Heat 1 for 100m hurdles race of the decathlon at the Asian Athletics Championships in Doha, Qatar on Monday.

Surprised Nadal sees 'super solid' Djokovic exit Monte Carlo

Surprised Nadal sees 'super solid' Djokovic exit Monte Carlo

AP, Monaco :Surprised at seeing rival Novak Djokovic go out of the Monte Carlo Masters after an error-strewn performance, defending champion Rafael Nadal acknowledged he enjoyed some luck in

Dutch league game plan riles Feyenoord fans

Dutch league game plan riles Feyenoord fans

Agency :A decision by the Dutch football federation to postpone all premier league games ahead of Ajax's Champions League clash against Tottenham was criticised Saturday as having "broad and

Barty beats Azarenka as Australia and Belarus share Fed Cup spoils

Agency :Australia and Belarus shared the spoils on day one of their Fed Cup semi-final in Brisbane Saturday with Ashleigh Barty sweeping past Victoria Azarenka while Aryna Sabalenka ground

Orlando Magic's Nikola Vucevic (9) moves the ball against Toronto Raptors' Kyle Lowry (7) during the second half in Game 3 of a first-round NBA basketball playoff series in Orlando, Fla on Friday.

Orlando Magic's Nikola Vucevic (9) moves the ball against Toronto Raptors' Kyle Lowry (7) during the second half in Game 3 of a first-round NBA basketball playoff series in Orlando, Fla on Friday.

.

Brazilian tennis player Souza provisionally suspended

AP, London :Brazilian tennis player Joao Souza has been provisionally suspended again amid a corruption investigation by the Tennis Integrity Unit.Souza had already been provisionally suspended on March 29

Defending champ Henderson tied for lead at Lotte Championship

Defending champ Henderson tied for lead at Lotte Championship

Agency :Canada's Brooke Henderson took another step towards defending her title, firing a three-under 69 for a share of the lead heading into the final round of the Lotte

Former Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop given four-year doping ban

Former Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop given four-year doping ban

BBC Online :Former Olympic 1500m champion Asbel Kiprop has received a four-year ban for doping.The Kenyan, a three-time world champion, tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) in an out-of-competition test

Simeone backs Costa after striker misses Atletico practice

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has come out in support of Diego Costa after the Spain striker reportedly refused to practice with the rest of the team.Simeone said Costa's