Thursday, May 23, 2019 | ePaper

Christchurch mosque shootings: 49 dead in New Zealand attacks

  • Print


The Al Noor mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand - location of one of the shootings




Forty-nine people have been killed and at least 20 wounded in shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand.

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison described the gunman, who had Australian citizenship, as an "extremist, right-wing" terrorist.

Four people - three men and one woman - were detained in connection with the shooting, New Zealand police said.

New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called it one of New Zealand's "darkest days".
What do we know at this point?

New Zealand police commissioner Mike Bush confirmed that "multiple fatalities" were recorded at two locations.

The first report of an attack came from the Al Noor mosque, located in central Christchurch. Witnesses told local media they ran for their lives, and saw people bleeding on the ground outside the building.

A second mosque in the suburb of Linwood was evacuated, but there were fewer details from that site. Police also defused "a number of IEDs (explosive devices) attached to vehicles", Mr Bush said.

Authorities advised all mosques in the city to shut down until further notice. Armed police were also seen at Papanui High School in Christchurch, which was cordoned off.
It was not immediately clear how many gunmen there were. The Australian suspect is believed to have published a manifesto outlining his intentions, in which he espoused far right and anti-immigrant ideology.

He also appeared to have livestreamed on Facebook from a head-mounted camera as he shot victims in a mosque. Police called on the public not to share the "extremely distressing" footage online.

Facebook said it had removed the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and was working to remove any copies of the footage.
What happened at the mosques?

The sequence of events remains unclear and has mostly come via eyewitness reports to local media.
One unnamed survivor told TV New Zealand he was at the Al Noor mosque, and saw a gunman shoot a man directly in the chest. The attacker reportedly targeted the men's prayer room in the mosque, then moved to the women's room.

"What I did was basically just waiting and praying, God please, let this guy run out of bullets," the witness said. "He came to this side, he shot this side, he went to another room and went to the ladies' section and shot them. I just heard one of the ladies has died."

A Palestinian man who asked not to be named told the AFP news agency he heard rapid gunfire and saw a man shot in the head.

"I heard three quick shots, then after about 10 seconds it started again - it must have been an automatic, no one could pull a trigger that quick," he said. "Then people started running out. Some were covered in blood."
A second mosque in the suburb of Linwood was also evacuated. The police commissioner said "multiple fatalities" were recorded at two locations.

How have authorities responded?

Multiple casualties were brought to Christchurch Hospital where there was a heavy police presence. A spokeswoman said Canterbury District Health Board (CDHB) had activated its mass casualty plan, the New Zealand news site Stuff.co.nz reported.

Police earlier cleared Cathedral Square, where thousands of children had been holding a rally for action on climate change.

Police Commissioner Bush said: "Police are responding with its full capability to manage the situation, but the risk environment remains extremely high. Police recommend that residents across Christchurch remain off the streets and indoors until further notice."

A lockdown on all schools in Christchurch was lifted, and parents told could collect their children.
Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison tweeted: "I'm horrified by the reports I'm following of the serious shooting in Christchurch, New Zealand. The situation is still unfolding but our thoughts and prayers are with our Kiwi cousins."
Cricket team escape attack

The Bangladesh national cricket team appeared to have narrowly escaped the shooting. A reporter following the team, which was due to play New Zealand in a now-cancelled test match on Saturday, tweeted that the team had "escaped from a mosque near Hagley Park where there were active shooters".

Player Tamim Iqbal tweeted that the "entire team got saved from active shooters".

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the team had gone to mosque by bus and were about to go inside when the incident took place.

"They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel," he told the AFP news agency. Source : BBC Online

More News For this Category

BB reserve heist 5 RCBC officials sued

Philstar.com :The Department of Justice filed an anti-money laundering charge against five more officials of the Rizal Commercial Banking Corp over the $81-million cyber heist in 2016.In a resolution made

Probe finds RAJUK’s irregularities in permitting FR Tower construction

More than 50 officials of the Rajdhani Unnayan Kartipakkha, or RAJUK, including its former chairman, committed a series of irregularities in permitting the design and construction of Banani's FR Tower,

Brexit: May asked by her MPs to go

The prime minister is facing calls to resign amid a backlash against her Brexit plan from Conservative MPs.Several cabinet ministers have told the BBC that she cannot stay, with one

Advance Eid train ticket sale starts

Advance Eid train ticket sale starts

Hundreds of people thronged five places, including Kamalapur railway station, in the capital on Wednesday to purchase train tickets in advance for travelling during the Eid-ul-Fitr.Tickets for May 31 are

Fare-traps for homegoers

Md Joynal Abedin Khan  :Millions of home-bound passengers are forced to pay extra charges to buy tickets from well-known bus operators ahead of the upcoming Eid-ul-Fitr. The holidaymakers fall in

Rice import duty finally enhanced

Special Correspondent  :The government has finally imposed a higher duty on import of rice to encourage and sustain local production.Import duty on rice was 28 per cent (25 per cent

Civil Surgeon gave false report on rape victim

Staff Reporter :The High Court (HC) on Wednesday ordered the Director General of the Directorate of Health Services to conduct an enquiry into a "misleading postmortem report" prepared in connection

PWD executive Engr withdrawn

Staff Reporter :The executive engineer of Public Works Department (Pabna office) was withdrawn on Wednesday over allegations of irregularities in purchasing furniture and other household items for officials and other

2 shown arrested in terror case

Staff Reporter  :A former teacher of Lakehead Grammar School and a British-Bangladeshi were shown arrested on Tuesday in a case filed under the Anti-Terrorism Act although their families claim they

Rajshahi DC starts buying paddy from farmers

Rajshahi Correspondent  :Deputy Commissioner (DC) in Rajshahi on Wednesday procured paddy directly from the farmers.He procured paddy while visiting houses of the farmers. DC SM Abdul Kader went to remote