Monday, May 20, 2019 | ePaper
UN jet to shift 50 wounded Houthi rebels to Oman
Al Jazeera News :
The fate of wounded rebels had been a stumbling block to the start of a previous round of aborted peace talks.
A Saudi-UAE coalition fighting Yemen's Houthi movement says 50 wounded rebels will be taken for treatment to Oman capital Muscat in a plane belonging to the United Nations. The announcement on Monday came after Martin Griffiths, the UN envoy to Yemen, requested this arrangement as a goodwill gesture in the run-up to planned peace talks in Sweden.
The evacuation marks a key step forward in kickstarting stalled negotiations as world powers press for an end to the devastating four-year war that has pushed Yemen, the world's worst humanitarian disaster, to the brink of famine. The fate of wounded rebels had been a stumbling block to the start of a previous round of aborted peace talks in September.
"A UN chartered plane will arrive at Sanaa international airport Monday to evacuate 50 wounded combatants accompanied by ... three Yemeni doctors and a UN doctor, from Sanaa to Muscat," coalition spokesperson Turki al-Maliki said in a statement carried by the official Saudi Press Agency.
The United States-backed military alliance agreed to facilitate the medical evacuations at the request of Griffiths for "humanitarian reasons" and as a "confidence-building" measure, Maliki added in the statement.
There was no immediate reaction from the Houthi rebels or the UN.
The proposed UN-brokered peace talks have been backed by both the rebels and the Saudi-led government and were expected to take place in Sweden this week.
UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, however, has played down the early December schedule and said he hoped talks would start "this year".
Houthi rebels have said they will attend the talks if they are guaranteed safe passage. Talks planned for September in Geneva failed to get under way as the Houthi delegation never left Yemen's rebel-held capital, arguing that the UN could not guarantee their safe return.
They also accused the world body of failing to secure the evacuation of wounded rebels to Oman.
Previous talks broke down in 2016, when 108 days of negotiations in Kuwait failed to yield a deal and left rebel delegates stranded in Oman for three months.In recent days, Griffiths has held talks separately with officials from both warring parties as part of efforts to lay the groundwork for talks in Sweden. Sigurd Neubauer, a non-resident fellow at the Gulf International Forum, called the evacuation announcement a welcome development.
"The fact that we are even discussing this issue, which previously was off limits, is in itself a diplomatic victory," he told Al Jazeera.
"We should always have cautious optimism because the first results that we would have to look at is whether or not these peace talks take place.
"The second aspect is that if they do indeed take place we will expect some sort of resolution between the Houthis and the UN and the Saudis over whether the UN will take over the management of the port of Hodeidah to help bring in humanitarian supplies into Yemen.