Sunday, May 19, 2019 | ePaper

California wild fire: Hunderds still missing

Death toll hits 63

  • Print


Volunteers rescue workers search for human remains in the rubble of homes burned in the Camp Fire in Paradise Calif.

CHICO, Calif. (AP)  :
At least 63 people are now dead from a Northern California wildfire, and officials say they have a missing persons list with 631 names on it in an ever-evolving accounting of the victims of the nation's deadliest wildfire in a century.
The high number of missing people probably includes some who fled the blaze and don't realize they've been reported missing, Butte County Sheriff Kory Honea said. He said he's making the list public so people can see if they are on it and let authorities know they survived. "The chaos that we were dealing with was extraordinary," Honea said of the early crisis hours last week. "Now we're trying to go back out and make sure that we're accounting for everyone." Some 52,000 people have been displaced to shelters, the homes of friends and relatives, to motels - and to a Walmart parking lot and an adjacent field in Chico, a dozen miles  
away from the ashes. At the vast shelter parking lot, evacuees from California's deadliest fire wonder if they still have homes, if their neighbors are still alive - and where they will go when their place of refuge shuts down in a matter of days. "It's cold and scary," said Lilly Batres, 13, one of the few children there, who fled with her family from the forested town of Magalia and didn't know whether her home survived. "I feel like people are going to come into our tent."
The Northern California fire that began a week earlier obliterated the town of Paradise . Searchers have pulled bodies from incinerated homes and cremated cars, but in many cases, the victims may have been reduced to bits of bones and ash. The latest toll: 63 dead and 9,800 homes destroyed. At the other end of the state, more residents were being allowed back into the zone of a wildfire that torched an area the size of Denver west of Los Angeles. The fire was 62 percent contained after destroying nearly 550 homes and other buildings. At least three deaths were reported. Air quality across large swaths of California remains so poor due to huge plumes of smoke that schools from Sacramento to the Pacific Coast were closed on Friday, and San Francisco's iconic open-air cable cars were pulled off the streets. Northern California's Camp Fire was 40 percent contained Thursday, but there was no timeline for allowing evacuees to return because of the danger. Power lines are still down, roads closed, and firefighters are still dousing embers, authorities said. Anna Goodnight of Paradise tried to make the best of it, sitting on an overturned shopping cart in the parking lot and eating scrambled eggs and tater tots while her husband drank a Budweiser. But then William Goodnight began to cry.
"We're grateful. We're better off than some. I've been holding it together for her," he said, gesturing toward his wife. "I'm just breaking down, finally." More than 75 tents had popped up in the space since Matthew Flanagan arrived last Friday. "We call it Wally World," Flanagan said, a riff off the store name. "When I first got here, there was nobody here. And now it's just getting worse and worse and worse. There are more evacuees, more people running out of money for hotels." Word began to spread Thursday that efforts were being made to phase out the camp by Sunday, by gradually removing donated clothing, food and toilets.
"The ultimate goal is to get these people out of tents, out of their cars and into warm shelter, into homes," said Jessica Busick, who was among the first volunteers when she and her husband started serving free food from their Truckaroni food truck last week. "We've always known this isn't a long-term solution."
A Sunday closure "gives us enough time to maybe figure something out," said Mike Robertson, an evacuee who arrived there on Monday with his wife and two daughters. It's unclear what will be done if people don't leave Sunday, but city officials don't plan to kick them out, said Betsy Totten, a Chico spokeswoman. Totten said volunteers - not the city - had decided to shut down the camp.
Walmart has added security to the location and is concerned about safety there, but it is not asking people to leave, spokeswoman LeMia Jenkins said. Some, like Batres' family, arrived after running out of money for a hotel. Others couldn't find a room or weren't allowed to stay at shelters with their dogs, or in the case of Suzanne Kaksonen, her two cockatoos.

More News For this Category

84 Rohingyas rescued in Cox`s Bazar from traffickers

84 Rohingyas rescued in Cox`s Bazar from traffickers

Staff Reporter :At least 84 Rohingya refugees were rescued on Saturday from traffickers in Cox's Bazar as they were waiting to board a fishing trawler to go to Malaysia.Of them,

Farmers, millers threaten to stop paddy production

Staff Reporter :Farmers and millers on Saturday urged the government to take measures that they get fair price of paddy.They gave the call at a press conference at Dhaka Reporters'

 Australian PM thanks voters for relecting him

Australian PM thanks voters for relecting him

Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison has thanked voters for re-electing his centre-right Coalition in a shock result at the federal polls.He told supporters he had "always believed in miracles" as

Chhatra League leader cuts off man's fingers in Satkhira

UNB, Satkhira :A Chhatra League leader chopped off four fingers of a man's right hand in Kalaroa upazila on Friday over a land dispute, police and family members said.The victim

65 suspected doping-gang members held in city

Staff Reporter  :Detective Branch (DB) of Dhaka Metropolitan Police conducted separate drives in the city's New Market, Kuril, Wari, Uttara and Gulistan and  arrested at least 65 people on charge

JaPa opposes rice export

Jatiya Party acting Chairman and former commerce minister GM Quader on Saturday warned that exporting surplus rice may lead to food crisis in case of any natural disaster."Farmers aren't getting

Iran dismisses possibility of conflict with US

DUBAI (Reuters) :Iran's top diplomat on Saturday dismissed the possibility of war erupting in the region, saying Tehran did not want a conflict and that no country had the "illusion

'Hijacker' killed in N’ganj mass beating

UNB, Narayanganj :An alleged hijacker was killed while two others injured after receiving mass beating by angry mob in Fatullah on early Saturday.The deceased Sajib, 25, and the injured Mamun,

12 more killed in road crashes

12 more killed in road crashes

Staff Reporter :Reckless driving again takes lives on the roads and highways.  At least 12 persons including a college girl were killed and 40 others seriously injured in separate road

Bangladesh beat West Indies to win maiden title in multinational event

Bangladesh beat West Indies to win maiden title in multinational event

 Bangladesh national cricket team created history on Friday at Dublin winning their maiden title in a multinational cricketing event beating West Indies by five wickets.Bangladesh chased a target of 210