Monday, March 25, 2019 | ePaper

White House suspends credentials for CNN`s Jim Acosta

  • Print


The White House has suspended the credentials of CNN's chief White House correspondent hours after a testy exchange with President Donald Trump. Jim Acosta was asking a question at a news conference on Wednesday when a White House worker tried to grab the microphone from his hands.
Press secretary Sarah Huckerbee Sanders said access was removed because he had put "his hands on a young woman". Mr Acosta called Ms Sanders claim "a lie". President Trump had been giving his response to the mid-term elections, which saw his Republican party lose control of the lower house of Congress but gain seats in the upper house.
During a question-and-answer session, Mr Acosta challenged Mr Trump's use of the word "invasion" to describe a migrant caravan heading to the US from Central America. He also challenged him over an anti-immigration advert that was widely seen as racist.
When Mr Acosta tried to ask a question about the Russia investigation into alleged interference in the 2016 presidential campaign, Mr Trump told him repeatedly "that's enough" and "put down the mic".
A female staff member attempted to take the microphone from the journalist, and Mr Acosta resisted handing it over telling her at one point "pardon me ma'am".
Mr Trump walked away from the podium and returned to say: "CNN should be ashamed of itself having you working for them. You are a rude, terrible person." He added: "The way you treat Sarah Huckerbee is horrible," without explaining why.
Another journalist spoke up in Mr Acosta's defence, calling him a "diligent reporter". Mr Trump fired back, "well I'm not a big fan of yours either," sparking laughter from members of the audience.
Ms Sanders, in a statement posted in a Twitter thread, said the White House would "never tolerate a reporter placing his hands on a young woman just trying to do her job".
"The fact that CNN is proud of the way their employee behaved is not only disgusting, it's an example of their outrageous disregard for everyone, including young women, who work in this Administration," she said.
"As a result of today's incident, the White House is suspending the hard pass of the reporter involved until further notice."
The press secretary later shared a zoomed in clip of the incident, which observers say is a doctored video originally posted by right-wing conspiracy theorist Paul Joseph Watson.
Mr Acosta posted a tweet saying he was stopped by the Secret Service from entering White House grounds.
Mr Acosta told CNN that he had been asking a question Mr Trump did not like which had led to a "back and forth" between them. He denied laying his hands on the woman, saying: "I was trying to hang on to the microphone so I could continue to ask the president questions."
"We all try to be professionals over there, and I think I handled myself professionally," he said, adding that he thinks, "this is a test for all of us. I do think they are trying to shut us down to some extent inside the White House press corps, and to some extent I think they are trying to send a message to our colleagues."
CNN issued a statement on Twitter saying the ban was "in retaliation for [Jim Acosta's] challenging questions".
"In an explanation, Press Secretary Sarah Sanders lied," it said. "She provided fraudulent accusations and cited an incident that never happened."
And other reaction?
The White House Correspondents' Association, which represents the press corps at the presidential residence, urged the administration to reverse "this weak and misguided action".
"Such interactions [between reporter and president] however uncomfortable they may appear to be, help define the strength of our national institutions," the association said.
Other members of the White House press corps have also come to Mr Acosta's defence.
New York Times' Peter Baker said he had been covering the White House since 1996 and had never known a reporter lose their credentials in this way.

More News For this Category

Bus drivers also know people are helpless and their lives have no value

A student of Sylhet Agricultural University died after he was pushed off a bus by the helper and crushed under the rear wheels in Nabiganj upazila of Habiganj on

About hundreds of shanties were burnt to ashes as fire broke out in city's Lalbagh slum on Saturday.

About hundreds of shanties were burnt to ashes as fire broke out in city's Lalbagh slum on Saturday.

 This time with bullets

This time with bullets

Staff Reporter :An Awami League leader along with 44 rounds of undeclared bullets was detained from the domestic terminal of Hazrat Shahjalal International Airport on Sunday.ABM Majharul Enam, president of

'Genocide Day' today

The nation is set to observe the 'Genocide Day' on Monday for the third time in remembrance of the brutality carried out by Pakistani Army on the unarmed Bengalis on

Caretaker Prime Minister in Britain ?

Theresa May could gain support for her Brexit deal if she promises to stand down as PM, senior Conservatives have told the BBC.MPs in the party have said they might

Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest

Shahnaz Rahmatullah laid to rest

Staff Reporter :Eminent singer Shahnaz Rahmatullah was laid to eternal rest at Banani Military graveyard in Dhaka on Sunday.Before the burial, her first Namaz-e-Janaza was held at the 'Park Mosque'

Stray incidents of violence, irregularities

Noman Mosharef :The third phase of votes in 117 upazila parishad of 25 districts was held on Sunday with low voter turn out, stray incident of violence and allegation of

134 Fulani herders killed in central Mali's worst violence yet

Reuters, Bamako :Gunmen killed at least 134 Fulani herders in central Mali on Saturday, a local mayor said, the deadliest such attack of recent times in a region reeling from

SAU students boycott classes in protest

Students from Sylhet Agricultural University (SAU) have boycotted classes in protest of the death of Gori Mohammed Wasim, who was allegedly killed when he was pushed off a moving bus.Wasim's

Security beefed up at diplomatic zone

Staff Reporter :As part of the security precautions, a number of clubs in the diplomatic zone area have issued security alerts to their members.Considering  intelligence reports, the Dhaka Metropolitan Police