Sunday, April 21, 2019 | ePaper

US Olympic moves to disband USA Gymnastics body

  • Print
AFP, Los Angeles :
The United States Olympic Committee said Monday it had begun moves to disband the country's governing body for gymnastics, accusing the sport's rulers of failing to grapple with the aftermath of the Larry Nassar sexual abuse scandal.
USOC chief executive Sarah Hirshland said in a statement Olympic chief had started formal proceedings to revoke USA Gymnastics' status as the governing body for the sport in the United States.
In an open letter addressed to US gymnasts, Hirshland said USA Gymnastics had failed to "change its culture, to rebuild its leadership, and to effectively serve its membership."
"You deserve better," Hirshland told gymnasts in the letter.
USA Gymnastics has lurched from one self-inflicted debacle to the next as it has struggled to rebuild in the wake of the Nassar abuse case, the worst scandal in US Olympic history.
Former US team doctor Nassar was jailed for life earlier this year after abusing more than 250 athletes, including several stars of the United States' gold medal-winning teams at the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.
The beleaguered governing body, which had been accused of covering up Nassar's crimes, has been in a state of perpetual crisis ever since the scandal erupted.
Last month, newly installed chief executive Mary Bono resigned after just four days following an outcry by Olympic stars Simone Biles and Alexandra Raisman.
Bono had taken over from chief executive Kerry Perry, who had resigned after just nine months after criticism of her performance by USOC.
Perry's departure came after the appointment and swift resignation of elite coach Mary Lee Tracy - who had made comments supportive of Nassar in 2016 when allegations of abuse against him had begun to emerge.

More News For this Category

Surprised Nadal sees 'super solid' Djokovic exit Monte Carlo

Surprised Nadal sees 'super solid' Djokovic exit Monte Carlo

AP, Monaco :Surprised at seeing rival Novak Djokovic go out of the Monte Carlo Masters after an error-strewn performance, defending champion Rafael Nadal acknowledged he enjoyed some luck in

Dutch league game plan riles Feyenoord fans

Dutch league game plan riles Feyenoord fans

Agency :A decision by the Dutch football federation to postpone all premier league games ahead of Ajax's Champions League clash against Tottenham was criticised Saturday as having "broad and

Barty beats Azarenka as Australia and Belarus share Fed Cup spoils

Agency :Australia and Belarus shared the spoils on day one of their Fed Cup semi-final in Brisbane Saturday with Ashleigh Barty sweeping past Victoria Azarenka while Aryna Sabalenka ground

Orlando Magic's Nikola Vucevic (9) moves the ball against Toronto Raptors' Kyle Lowry (7) during the second half in Game 3 of a first-round NBA basketball playoff series in Orlando, Fla on Friday.

Orlando Magic's Nikola Vucevic (9) moves the ball against Toronto Raptors' Kyle Lowry (7) during the second half in Game 3 of a first-round NBA basketball playoff series in Orlando, Fla on Friday.

.

Brazilian tennis player Souza provisionally suspended

AP, London :Brazilian tennis player Joao Souza has been provisionally suspended again amid a corruption investigation by the Tennis Integrity Unit.Souza had already been provisionally suspended on March 29

Defending champ Henderson tied for lead at Lotte Championship

Defending champ Henderson tied for lead at Lotte Championship

Agency :Canada's Brooke Henderson took another step towards defending her title, firing a three-under 69 for a share of the lead heading into the final round of the Lotte

Former Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop given four-year doping ban

Former Olympic champion Asbel Kiprop given four-year doping ban

BBC Online :Former Olympic 1500m champion Asbel Kiprop has received a four-year ban for doping.The Kenyan, a three-time world champion, tested positive for erythropoietin (EPO) in an out-of-competition test

Simeone backs Costa after striker misses Atletico practice

Atletico Madrid coach Diego Simeone has come out in support of Diego Costa after the Spain striker reportedly refused to practice with the rest of the team.Simeone said Costa's

Barty to face Azarenka in Fed Cup semi

Barty to face Azarenka in Fed Cup semi

AFP, Brisbane :World number nine Ashleigh Barty will face her doubles partner and two-time major winner Victoria Azarenka in the Fed Cup semi-final between Australia and Belarus on Saturday.The pair

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez calls for win over Southampton to secure survival

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez calls for win over Southampton to secure survival

Newcastle boss Rafael Benitez is demanding one final push against Southampton to help his side secure Premier League survival.The sides meet at St James' Park on Saturday evening separated by