Tuesday, April 23, 2019 | ePaper

AL not fully satisfied with verdict: Quader

  • Print


Awami League general secretary Obaidul Quader on Wednesday said their party is not fully satisfied with the verdict of the August-21 grenade attack cases as the mastermind of the incident and BNP's acting chairman Tarique Rahman was not given death sentence.
"Though delayed, we aren't unhappy with the verdict. We aren't fully satisfied as the planner and mastermind (Tarique Rahman) of the grenade attack was not given the capital punishment," he said. The ruling party leader came up with the remarks while talking to reporters at Bangabandhu International Conference Center here after the pronouncement of the verdict of 21-August grenade attack cases.
Quader, also the Road Transport and Bridges Minister, said the prime target of the brutal attack was Bangabandhu's daughter Sheikh Hasina, the then opposition leader and the current Prime Minister.
"The country's people know it very well who was the planner and mastermind of the carnage. It's now true as the daylight," he added.
During the Khaleda Zia-led government, the minister said Hawa Bhaban was an alternative 'powerhouse'.
He said executed militant leader Mufti Hannan made a confessional statement that Tarique Rahman's permission had been taken before launching the attack.
Recalling the killing of 24 people in the attack, Quader said the then government was not at all concerned over the brutal carnage as it destroyed all the evidence of the cases. The FBI was not allowed to investigate the incident while Scotland Yard was prevented from coming to Bangladesh."
He said the then government also tried to divert the cases into a different direction by making a cooked-up story of Joj Mia. Earlier in the morning, a speedy trial tribunal sentenced 19 people to death and 19 others, including BNP acting Chairman Tarique Rahman to life imprisonment, in two cases filed over the August 21 grenade attack on an Awami League rally in the capital in 2004.

More News For this Category

290 killed, over 500 hurt in SL blasts

290 killed, over 500 hurt in SL blasts

Reuters, Colombo :Seven suicide bombers took part in the attacks on churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka that killed 290 people and wounded more than 500, an investigator said

Local Islamist group behind blasts: Govt

AFP, Colombo :The Sri Lankan government believes a local Islamist extremist group called the National Thowheeth Jama'ath (NTJ) was behind the deadly suicide bomb attacks that killed nearly 300 people,

Petrol bomb also hurled at mosque in Sri Lanka

Reuters   :A petrol bomb attack on a mosque and arson attacks on two shops owned by Muslims are reported in two different parts of Sri Lanka, police said. As per

Sheikh Selim's grandson among those killed in Sri Lanka blasts

Sheikh Selim's grandson among those killed in Sri Lanka blasts

Awami League leader Sheikh Fazlul Karim Selim's grandson Zayan Chowdhury was killed in Sunday's explosions in Sri Lanka that left at least 290 people dead.Sharif Mahmud Apu, Public Relations officer

Home Minister rules out SL-style terror threats

Home Minister Asaduzzaman Khan has described terror attacks on churches and luxury hotels in Sri Lanka as heartrending and ruled out similar threats in Bangladesh."Law-enforcement agencies are ready to face

Pompeo blames 'Islamic radical terror' for attacks

The Hill :Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Monday blamed "a horrific wave of Islamic radical terror" for the deadly bombings in Sri Lanka on Easter Sunday that killed hundreds,

Writ filed seeking release of 'wrongly jailed' Arman

Staff Reporter :A writ petition was filed with the High Court (HC) on Sunday seeking release of Md Arman, who has been serving jail for three years whereas the real

Lanka failed to heed warnings of attacks

AP, Colombo :Sri Lankan officials failed to heed warnings from intelligence agencies about the threat of an attack by a domestic radical Muslim group that officials blame for Easter Sunday

3 children of Danish billionaire killed in Sri Lanka attacks

Reuters, Copenhagen :Denmark's richest man Anders Holch Povlsen and his wife lost three of their four children in the Easter Sunday attacks in Sri Lanka, a spokesman for Povlsen's fashion

 Moni confesses role in Nusrat killing mission

Moni confesses role in Nusrat killing mission

Md Joynal Abedin Khan  :Kamrunnahar alias Moni, who is nearest friend and classmate of slain Nusrat Jahan Rafin, confessed her guilt role in the sensational killing mission her at Sonagazi