Friday, July 20, 2018 | ePaper

All migrant kids under five to be back with parents: US official

  • Print


Immigrant children of undocumented immigrant families react as they are released from detention at a bus depot in McAllen, Texas.

Reuters, Washington :
All migrant children under age 5 who were separated at the U.S.-Mexico border will have been reunited with their parents by early Thursday morning if they were eligible, a Trump administration official said in a statement on Wednesday.
The American Civil Liberties Union, which sued the government over its separation policies, disputed that assertion.
"Their statement is vague at a minimum," said attorney Lee Gelernt, noting that a San Diego judge had set a deadline of Tuesday for reuniting those children. "We know they missed the deadline."
The government has said some children were not eligible for reunification because the parent was deported, had a criminal record or was otherwise unfit.
U.S. Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego had ordered the government to reunite the children under the age of 5 by Tuesday and all separated children by July 26.
On Thursday, the government will give Sabraw a progress report on the younger children and whether it expects to meet the deadline for the older group.
The government has said around 2,300 children were separated from their parents at the border under the Trump administration's "zero tolerance" policy on illegal immigration, which was abandoned in June after intense protests.
The ACLU's Gelernt said the government is not even close to reuniting all the children under 5 with their parents, including 12 adults who were deported without their children. He said they government has not told him how many children have been reunified with parents. "I've asked the government for numbers and they should have told me by now," he told Reuters.
Since the government first came under pressure to ease its policy on separations weeks ago, it has shifted its estimates of the number of children it would reunite.
The latest figures released by the government were early on Tuesday, when officials said that four children under 5 had been reunited and at least 34 more would be with their parents by the end of the day.
Catholic Charities, which helped place some of the children in shelter facilities after their separation, held a news briefing in New York at which a handful of the reunited parents expressed relief after weeks of anxiety over the separations.
"I'm happy to finally be able to be with my child. I will never be separated from him, no matter what," said a tearful Javier, a 30-year-old from Honduras, who was reunited with his 4-year-old son after 55 days of detention. "Those were the worst days of my life. I never imagined that this would happen."
The organization provided first names only.
The struggle to track and match parents with children under 5 suggests the government may have more difficulties in meeting a July 26 deadline for reuniting the remaining 2,000 older children with adults from whom they were separated.
"That is going to be a significant undertaking," Sabraw said on Tuesday of the next deadline.
U.S. President Donald Trump took to Twitter on Wednesday to blame the Democratic Party, among others, for failing to fix what he has characterized as a broken immigration system.
"Judges run the system and illegals and traffickers know how it works. They are just using children!" he said.
One immigration advocate told Reuters she was still awaiting details on when officials would return two children younger than 5 to their parents. One parent was from Honduras and the other from El Salvador.

More News For this Category

UK police identify Novichok suspects as Russians

AFP :British police believe that they have identified the suspects who carried out the Novichok nerve agent attack on a former Moscow double agent and his daughter and that

Turkey ends 2-year state of emergency, seeks to keep some powers

AFP :Turkey's state of emergency which was imposed after the failed 2016 coup came to an end on Thursday, but the opposition fears it will be replaced by even

Macron security official filmed hitting protester

AFP :One of President Emmanuel Macron's top security officers was at the centre of a potentially damaging scandal for the French leader on Thursday after being filmed hitting a

19 drown, dozens missing as migrant boat sinks off Cyprus

AFP  :At least 19 migrants drowned and up to 30 were missing Wednesday after their boat sank in the Mediterranean off the north of Cyprus, local security forces said.The

Trump-Putin summit: Democrats call for interpreter to testify

Trump-Putin summit: Democrats call for interpreter to testify

BBC Online :US opposition politicians are calling for Donald Trump's interpreter to testify before Congress about his summit talks with Vladimir Putin.The lead Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations

Nigeria captures Boko Haram men who abducted Chibok girls

Al Jazeera News :Nigerian police have arrested eight members of the armed group Boko Haram who were involved in the 2014 abduction of more than 276 schoolgirls from the town

Israel adopts controversial Jewish nation-state law

Israel adopts controversial Jewish nation-state law

AFP :Israel's parliament on Thursday adopted a law defining the country as the nation state of the Jewish people, provoking fears it could lead to blatant discrimination against Arab

Syrian rebels 'reach agreement' with govt to leave border point

Syrian rebels 'reach agreement' with govt to leave border point

Al Jazeera News :Syrian rebels have reached an agreement with government forces to leave the strategic area of Quneitra along the border with the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, Syria's official

First direct Ethiopia-Eritrea flight in 20 years takes off

Al Jazeera News :Ethiopian Airlines conducted the first direct passenger flights between Addis Ababa and Asmara, reconnecting Eritrea and Ethiopia after a 20-year military standoff.The carrier said flight ET0312

Najib to refile lawsuits against top 1MDB investigators

Reuters, Kuala Lumpur :Former Malaysian premier Najib Razak will file fresh civil suits against three investigators of a multi-billion dollar scandal at state fund 1MDB, after he withdrew his