Friday, July 20, 2018 | ePaper

US must reunite migrant families or face penalties: Federal judge

  • Print


People protest in El Paso, Texas, against the Trump administration policy of separating immigrant families suspected of illegal entry.

Reuters,  San Diego :

The US government must reunite 63 children under the age of five who were separated by immigration officials after crossing into the United States from Mexico as soon as Tuesday or face penalties, a federal judge said.
US Judge Dana Sabraw in San Diego told government attorneys he was sticking with deadlines he set last month, when he ordered children under five to be reunited Tuesday and another 2,000 to be back with their parents by July 26.
"These are firm deadlines. They are not aspirational goals," said the judge.
The children were taken from their parents under President Donald Trump's "zero tolerance" immigration policy, which called for the prosecution and detention of adult immigrants crossing the border without authorization. Sabraw also asked the American Civil Liberties Union, which brought the lawsuit that led to Sabraw's June order, to file papers on Thursday suggesting remedies if the government had not reunified the 63 children by Tuesday "or within immediate proximity of today." The judge did not suggest what penalties could be applied.
"The court has a range of options from significant fines to other types of relief," said ACLU attorney Lee Gelernt.
After public outcry and a court challenge, Trump stopped separating families last month.
The government had asked Sabraw to extend the deadlines because it needed time to test DNA to confirm family relationships, run background checks, locate parents who were released from custody and review parental fitness.
In court filings, the ACLU has said the government is asking for needless provisions for reuniting families that would not happen if the families had not been separated in the first place. Sabraw's order included exceptions that might threaten the safety of the child. As a result, the number of children eligible to be reunited has shifted in recent days as the government has discovered some individuals were not parents as they claimed or had criminal records.
Many of the separated children are fleeing violence in Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador, and US Homeland Security Secretary Kirstjen Nielsen met with diplomats from those countries in Guatemala on Tuesday to discuss U.S. immigration policies.
Some lawyers representing the separated children, who have been scattered into foster systems across the country, said the government was not telling them what would happen to their young clients.
The Legal Aid Society in New York said it is representing at least two separated children under 5 years old that meet the judge's criteria for reunification on Tuesday.
One boy, from El Salvador, was due to be released to his mother, according to Beth Krause, the supervising attorney of Legal Aid's Immigrant Youth Project.
"I have no details about where, when, under what conditions," she wrote in an email on Tuesday morning. The other boy, a Honduran, would remain with a foster family while the father remained in government custody, although it was not clear to her why.
"I know very very little about this case," she said. "It's all very frustrating."
Judge Sabraw issued a protective order shielding children's names and some reunification details from disclosure.
Trump was dismissive of reporters' questions about the missed deadline on Tuesday.
"Tell people not to come to our country illegally," he said. "That's the solution."
Some of the separated families arrived at US ports of entry seeking asylum, which is not illegal.

More News For this Category

UK police identify Novichok suspects as Russians

AFP :British police believe that they have identified the suspects who carried out the Novichok nerve agent attack on a former Moscow double agent and his daughter and that

Turkey ends 2-year state of emergency, seeks to keep some powers

AFP :Turkey's state of emergency which was imposed after the failed 2016 coup came to an end on Thursday, but the opposition fears it will be replaced by even

Macron security official filmed hitting protester

AFP :One of President Emmanuel Macron's top security officers was at the centre of a potentially damaging scandal for the French leader on Thursday after being filmed hitting a

19 drown, dozens missing as migrant boat sinks off Cyprus

AFP  :At least 19 migrants drowned and up to 30 were missing Wednesday after their boat sank in the Mediterranean off the north of Cyprus, local security forces said.The

Trump-Putin summit: Democrats call for interpreter to testify

Trump-Putin summit: Democrats call for interpreter to testify

BBC Online :US opposition politicians are calling for Donald Trump's interpreter to testify before Congress about his summit talks with Vladimir Putin.The lead Democrat on the Senate Foreign Relations

Nigeria captures Boko Haram men who abducted Chibok girls

Al Jazeera News :Nigerian police have arrested eight members of the armed group Boko Haram who were involved in the 2014 abduction of more than 276 schoolgirls from the town

Israel adopts controversial Jewish nation-state law

Israel adopts controversial Jewish nation-state law

AFP :Israel's parliament on Thursday adopted a law defining the country as the nation state of the Jewish people, provoking fears it could lead to blatant discrimination against Arab

Syrian rebels 'reach agreement' with govt to leave border point

Syrian rebels 'reach agreement' with govt to leave border point

Al Jazeera News :Syrian rebels have reached an agreement with government forces to leave the strategic area of Quneitra along the border with the Israeli-occupied Golan Heights, Syria's official

First direct Ethiopia-Eritrea flight in 20 years takes off

Al Jazeera News :Ethiopian Airlines conducted the first direct passenger flights between Addis Ababa and Asmara, reconnecting Eritrea and Ethiopia after a 20-year military standoff.The carrier said flight ET0312

Najib to refile lawsuits against top 1MDB investigators

Reuters, Kuala Lumpur :Former Malaysian premier Najib Razak will file fresh civil suits against three investigators of a multi-billion dollar scandal at state fund 1MDB, after he withdrew his