Tuesday, November 20, 2018 | ePaper

BREAKING NEWS:

Recovering Neymar confirmed in Brazil's World Cup squad

  • Print
AP, Sao Paulo :

A recovering Neymar was confirmed and injured leader Dani Alves was replaced by Danilo and Fagner in a Brazil World Cup squad of few surprises on Monday.
The only surprises were among the likely reserves for the tournament in Russia, with the inclusion of Shakhtar Donetsk midfielder Fred and winger Taison.
Neymar has been recovering from right foot surgery in March, and Brazil Football Confederation doctors believe he will be fit to train next week in Teresopolis, where preparations will begin, and play on June 3 in a friendly against Croatia in Liverpool.
Brazil doctor Rodrigo Lasmar said at a news conference in Rio de Janeiro he examined Neymar on the weekend and the results were positive.
"This is the final stage of his recovery, he will be able to go to training sessions soon, and will play the friendlies," Lasmar said.
Coach Tite said Neymar was one of the top three players in the world, but insisted his team didn't depend on him alone. "We will be much stronger with Neymar doing well, but for him to do well the rest of the team has to be well, too," he said.
All but one of Tite's starting lineup in World Cup qualifiers was confirmed in the squad: Alisson; Miranda, Marquinhos and Marcelo; Casemiro, Paulinho, Renato Augusto and Philippe Coutinho; Neymar and Gabriel Jesus. Defender Alves, a veteran of two World Cups, sprained his right ACL last week in the French Cup final and was replaced in the 23-man Brazil squad by Manchester City's Danilo and Corinthians' Fagner. Tite decided not to inform who are the players that could replace one of those until June 4 in case of injury.
Tite also summoned goalkeepers Ederson (Manchester City) and Cassio (Corinthians); defenders Thiago Silva, (Paris Saint-Germain) Pedro Geromel (Gremio) and Filipe Luis (Atletico Madrid); midfielders Fernandinho (Man City) and Willian (Chelsea); and strikers Roberto Firmino (Liverpool) and Douglas Costa (Juventus).
The coach said several positions in his starting lineup were open, including up front.
"At first, Gabriel Jesus is our starter. But Roberto Firmino will fight for that position in top form," Tite said. "The challenge is open on the right back, but Danilo has some advantage now because he has performed well recently."
Tite also hinted in his hour-long news conference he could change one of his central defenders for Thiago Silva. The inclusion of Taison, the coach admitted, suggested Coutinho could be taking a role in central midfield and leaving his spot for Willian.

More News For this Category

Zverev ATP Finals win hints at changing of the guard

Zverev ATP Finals win hints at changing of the guard

Alexander Zverev won the biggest title of his career against Novak Djokovic at the ATP Finals on Sunday, but is the new kid on the block ready to smash the

Tigresses finish Women's World T20 with defeat

Bangladesh women's cricket team finished theirWomen's World T20I with all losing note as they suffered a 30-run defeat toSouth Africa in their group A last encounter held on Monday at

Powerful Sheikh steps aside from IOC after forgery charge

World sport powerbroker Sheikh Ahmad al-Fahad al-Sabah said he was "temporarily" stepping aside from his International Olympic Committee duties on Monday after the Kuwaiti was charged with forgery in Switzerland.The

Ashraful eyes BPL to prove his worth again

Bangladesh batsman Mohammad Ashraful, who made his return to cricket after completing the ban imposed on him, played in the Dhaka Premier League (DPL) and National Cricket League (NCL). But

Los Angeles Lakers forward Brandon Ingram drives as Miami Heat forward Rodney McGruder defends during the first half of an NBA basketball game on Sunday.

Los Angeles Lakers forward Brandon Ingram drives as Miami Heat forward Rodney McGruder defends during the first half of an NBA basketball game on Sunday.

S. Korean judoka suspended over military service claim

An Olympic silver medal-winning judoka was expelled from South Korea's national training centre Monday and suspended from a Grand Slam event after being accused of fabricating documents for his military

Molinari stunned by 'incredible' 2018

Molinari stunned by 'incredible' 2018

Newly-crowned European number one Francesco Molinari said he would have "laughed" if anyone had predicted his successes in an "incredible" 2018 campaign that culminated with the Race To Dubai title

Kohli a more mature cricketer than four years ago: Shastri

India Head coach Ravi Shastri believes Virat Kohli has come back as a more mature player than he was when India visited Australian shores four years back in 2014-15."He is

Nigeria, Uganda, Mali, Morocco qualify for Cup of Nations

AFP, Johannesburg :Nigeria, Uganda, Mali and Morocco qualified for the 2019 Africa Cup of Nations on Saturday while Libya scored eight goals to keep alive their hopes of also featuring

Okuhara downs Intanon in Hong Kong Open final

AFP, Hong Kong :Japan's Nozomi Okuhara said her triumph over a determined Ratchanok Intanon in Sunday's Hong Kong Open final is a massive confidence boost ahead of the Tokyo Olympics.Both