Monday, May 21, 2018 | ePaper

UN Chief asks for halt to 'all hostile acts' in Middle East

  • Print


Israeli soldiers walk past tanks in the Israeli-controlled Golan Heights, near the border with Syria on Thursday.

AP, Beirut :
U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres called for an immediate halt to "all hostile acts" to avoid "a new conflagration" in the Middle East after Israeli forces bombed Iranian targets inside Syria.
Guterres' comments came as a calm night followed intense attacks on parts of Syria by Israel. Israel said the strikes early Thursday were retaliation for an Iranian rocket barrage on its positions in the Golan Heights and has called on the U.N. Security Council and secretary-general to immediately condemn Iran's attack. Iran's Foreign Ministry strongly condemned Israel's attacks and called it a blatant violation of Syria's sovereignty.
In Iran's first official reaction to the attack, a Friday report in state-run IRNA quoted Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Ghasemi as saying the Israeli attack on Syria under "fabricated and baseless excuses" is a breach of the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of Syria.
He added that Syria has the right to defend itself "against the aggressors."
The Security Council, deeply divided over Syria, is highly unlikely to issue a statement and as of Friday morning no council member had asked for a meeting.
Israel and Iran have long fought each other through proxies, and with the new exchange each seemed to be sending a warning that a direct clash between them could swiftly escalate. The scope of the attacks - which Israel called its largest in Syria since the 1973 Mideast war - raised the specter of a full-fledged war between Iran and Israel in Syria, a conflict that could potentially drag the militant Hezbollah and Lebanon into the mix with devastating effects, although both sides appeared to signal they wanted the confrontation to remain contained, at least for now.
Near the capital Damascus, opposition fighters and their families left three southern suburbs that were held by rebels bringing the area under government control for the first time in years, Syrian state media and a war monitor say
Syria's state news agency SANA said opposition fighters who decided to stay in the suburbs of Babila, Beit Sahem and Yalda will hand over the weapons and return to normal life.
The Britain-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said a total of 8,400 fighters and civilians left the area since May 3 and the last group left Thursday night.
Syrian state TV and the Observatory said police forces are getting ready to enter the area on Friday to guarantee security.
With the capture of the three suburbs, the only area outside government control in Damascus is that of the neighborhood of Hajar al-Aswad and the nearby Palestinian refugee camp of Yarmouk that are partially controlled by the Islamic State group.
Government forces have been on the offensive against IS in the area since last month and its capture would boost security in President Bashar Assad's seat of power.

More News For this Category

Cleric Sadr meets Iraq PM Abadi, hinting at coalition

Cleric Sadr meets Iraq PM Abadi, hinting at coalition

Reuters, Baghdad  :Iraqi Prime Minister Haider al-Abadi met with Moqtada al-Sadr on Saturday, less than 24 hours after the Shi'ite cleric's bloc was declared winner of Iraq's parliamentary election,

Melania back in the White House after kidney procedure

Melania back in the White House after kidney procedure

Reuters, Washington :President Donald Trump's wife, Melania Trump, returned to the White House on Saturday after undergoing a surgical procedure this week to treat a benign kidney condition, her

Maduro favoured as Venezuelans vote amid crisis

Maduro favoured as Venezuelans vote amid crisis

AP, Caracas :Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro is expected to win a second six-year term in Sunday's election, despite a deepening crisis that's made food scarce and inflation soar as

News In Brief

6 cops killed in Naxal attack in IndiaAP, PatnaAt least six police officials were killed and another was critically injured on Sunday when Maoist rebels targeted their vehicle with

Trump, Moon discuss N Korea's threat to scrap summit

Trump, Moon discuss N Korea's threat to scrap summit

AFP, Seoul :US President Donald Trump and South Korean President Moon Jae-in on Sunday discussed North Korea's recent threats to cancel its unprecedented summit with Washington, Seoul's presidential office

Putin, Merkel defend Nord Stream pipeline

Putin, Merkel defend Nord Stream pipeline

AFP, Sochi (Russia)  :Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel put on a rare show of unity Friday defending the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, criticised by Ukraine

Chinese bombers make debut landing on disputed South China Sea runway

Chinese bombers make debut landing on disputed South China Sea runway

AFP Beijing :China has for the first time landed several bombers on an island in the disputed South China Sea, a move that could provoke renewed tensions between countries

Detained Saudi women driving campaigners branded traitors

Detained Saudi women driving campaigners branded traitors

AP, Dubai :Just weeks before Saudi Arabia is set to lift its ban on women driving, the kingdom's state security said Saturday it had detained seven people who are

Cleric Sadr wins Iraq election but forming govt far off

Cleric Sadr wins Iraq election but forming govt far off

AFP, Baghdad  :The final results of Iraq's elections confirmed Saturday a breakthrough for nationalist cleric Moqtada Sadr, who was in the lead, ahead of internationally favoured prime minister Haider

White House pushes ahead with Mideast peace plan

White House pushes ahead with Mideast peace plan

AP, Washington  :The Trump administration is aiming to roll out its much-hyped but long-delayed Middle East peace plan next month amid signs it may further alienate the Palestinians by