Wednesday, September 19, 2018 | ePaper

Syria army cuts off main rebel town in Ghouta as death toll tops 1,000

  • Print


Syrian men check the damage following Syrian government shelling on the town of Douma in the rebel-held enclave of Eastern Ghouta on the eastern outskirts of the capital Damascus on Saturday.

AFP, Douma, Syria :
Syrian regime forces continued their offensive against Eastern Ghouta Sunday, a day after they cut off the rebel-held enclave's largest town, pressing on with a 20-day assault that has left more than 1,000 civilians dead.
Government troops and allied militia launched their military campaign for Eastern Ghouta on February 18 and have since overrun more than half of the area, defying global calls for a halt to the violence.
The assault has followed a divide-and-conquer strategy, eating away at rebel-held territory, and government forces on Saturday successfully isolated Ghouta's main town of Douma in a blow for the beleaguered rebels.
Regime fighters cut off a road linking Douma with the town of Harasta further west and also captured the town of Misraba, according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights.
"Regime forces have therefore divided Eastern Ghouta into three parts-Douma and its surroundings, Harasta in the west, and the rest of the towns further south," the Britain-based monitor said.
Shelling and air strikes slammed into Douma on Saturday, trapping residents inside their basements for hours, AFP's correspondents in the town said.
Rescue workers and medics were struggling to navigate the town's rubble- littered roads to bring wounded residents back to field clinics.
At least 20 civilians-including four children-were killed in Douma on Saturday, in addition to 17 civilians in other battlefront towns, said the Observatory.
The deaths raised the assault's total toll to 1,031 civilians, including 219 children, according to the Observatory. More than 4,350 have been wounded.
Douma's opposition-run local council issued an urgent "distress call" on Saturday to international organisations.
"The bomb shelters and basements are full, and people are sleeping in the streets and in public gardens," the statement said.
"For three days, it has been hard to bury the dead because of the intense bombing on the cemetery," it added.
Eastern Ghouta is the last remaining opposition-controlled zone on the outskirts of the capital, and rebels there have regularly fired rockets onto Damascus.
On Saturday, at least one child was killed and four other civilians wounded in rebel shelling on eastern districts of Damascus, according to state news agency SANA.
Rebels have tried to slow the advance with an attempted counter-offensive, but President Bashar al-Assad's forces steamrolled their efforts.
Syrian state television broadcast live footage from Misraba hours after it was captured by the army on Saturday, showing dozens of civilians in a dark basement, surrounded by troops.
One elderly man broke down into tears as he relayed how his family had fled to Douma under fierce bombardment.
Eastern Ghouta is home to around 400,000 people, living under a five-year siege that has made food and medical aid exceedingly rare.
On Friday, an aid convoy by the International Committee of the Red Cross, the United Nations and the Syrian Arab Red Crescent delivered food to hunger- stricken residents.
It was the second convoy in one week, after deliveries on Monday were interrupted by heavy bombardment.
The UN refugee agency's Syria representative, who entered Ghouta with Monday's convoy, said the area was "on the verge of a major disaster".
"I've never seen such scared faces in my life," Sajjad Malik said Friday.
He described seeing a five-storey building that had been reduced to rubble, with a powerful stench emanating from several bodies trapped underneath.

More News For this Category

Kim agrees to dismantle main nuke site if US takes steps too

Kim agrees to dismantle main nuke site if US takes steps too

AP,  Pyongyang :The leaders of North and South Korea announced a wide range of agreements Wednesday which they said were a major step toward peace on the Korean Peninsula. But

India bans instant divorce by Muslim men

India bans instant divorce by Muslim men

AP, New Delhi :India's government on Wednesday approved an ordinance to implement a top court ruling striking down the Muslim practice that allows men to instantly divorce.The government decision came

Donald Trump unveils revised US bio-defence strategy

Donald Trump unveils revised US bio-defence strategy

US President Donald Trump unveiled a new strategy Tuesday aimed at reducing the risks of man-made and naturally occurring biological threats.The announcement came on the anniversary of the 2001 anthrax

Sex with Trump 'least impressive' she's ever had: Daniels

Sex with Trump 'least impressive' she's ever had: Daniels

Stormy Daniels, the porn star who claims to have slept with Donald Trump over a decade ago, says in her upcoming tell-all book that it may have been the "least

5.2m children at famine risk in Yemen: NGO warns

5.2m children at famine risk in Yemen: NGO warns

More than five million children are at risk of famine in Yemen as the ongoing war causes food and fuel prices to soar across the country, charity Save the Children

News in brief

Brexit talks face Irish hurdle at EU summitAFP, SalzburgPrime Minister Theresa May will confront European leaders Wednesday over the fate of the Irish border when Britain quits the EU next

US slashes refugee admissions to 30,000 for 2019

US slashes refugee admissions to 30,000 for 2019

Reuters, Washington :U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday the United States would cap the number of refugees allowed into the country at 30,000 for fiscal year 2019,

Kim says summit with US brought stability, sees further progress

Kim says summit with US brought stability, sees further progress

Reuters, Seoul :North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said on Tuesday his summit with U.S. President Donald Trump in June provided geopolitical stability and that he expects more progress.Kim began

Trump defends SC pick after sex assault allegation

Trump defends SC pick after sex assault allegation

US President Donald Trump stood firmly by his Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh Monday after allegations that the conservative judge sexually assaulted a woman when they were teenagers threatened to

Russia says no Syria assault as Putin, Erdogan agree Idlib plan

Russia says no Syria assault as Putin, Erdogan agree Idlib plan

AFP, Sochi :Moscow said Monday there would be no assault on Syria's Idlib as the leaders of Russia and Turkey agreed to create a demilitarised zone around the Syrian rebel-held