Wednesday, September 19, 2018 | ePaper

Turkish court orders release of journalists during their trial

  • Print


Ahmet Sik, a writer of the newspaper Cumhuriyet, is greeted by his friends after being released from the prison in Silivri near Istanbul on Saturday.

Reuters, Ankara  :
A Turkish court ruled on Friday that two journalists should be released for the duration of their trial for subversion, a lawyer at the courthouse said.
Murat Sabuncu, editor-in-chief of the newspaper Cumhuriyet, and writer Ahmet Sik were ordered released, the lawyer said. However, Cumhuriyet said that its attorney, Akin Atalay, was remanded in custody until the next hearing, on March 16.
Prosecutors charge that Cumhuriyet was effectively taken over by supporters of Fethullah Gulen, a U.S.-based cleric blamed by the government for a 2016 failed coup. The newspaper and staff deny the charges and say they are being targeted to silence critics of President Tayyip Erdogan.
Prosecutors are seeking up to 43 years in jail for the newspaper staff, who stand accused of targeting Erdogan through "asymmetric war methods."
Social media posts made up most of evidence in the indictment, along with allegations that staff had been in contact with users of Bylock, an encrypted messaging app the government says was used by Gulen's followers.
Rights group Amnesty International said on Twitter that the ruling was "long overdue" and called for the release of all jailed journalists in Turkey.
Speaking after his release, Sabuncu said their release was not a reason to be happy, since several journalists remained in prison.
"We should not be happy that we have been released because our release does not mean things have changed in Turkey regarding freedom of speech," Sabuncu told reporters.
Sik reiterated Sabuncu's comments, saying he would rather see anger than happiness.
"I am not happy in any way. I don't want you to be happy while Akin Atalay is still inside. I would prefer if you were angry, for anger will keep us standing," Sik said.
"Today is not a day for us to be happy, but there will come a day when we will be happy in this country," he said.
Around 150 media outlets have been shut down and 160 journalists have been jailed, the Turkish Journalists Association says.
Earlier on Friday, Turkey's highest court overturned a five-year jail sentence for Cumhuriyet's former editor-in-chief, Can Dundar, saying he should face up to 20 years in prison on espionage charges, the state-run news agency Anadolu said.
Since the July 2016 coup attempt, more than 150,000 people have been sacked or suspended from their jobs in Turkey, and another 50,000 have been arrested over alleged links to Gulen's network.
Gulen, who has lived in self-imposed exile in the United States since 1999, has denied involvement in the abortive putsch, in which more than 240 people were killed.

More News For this Category

Kim agrees to dismantle main nuke site if US takes steps too

Kim agrees to dismantle main nuke site if US takes steps too

AP,  Pyongyang :The leaders of North and South Korea announced a wide range of agreements Wednesday which they said were a major step toward peace on the Korean Peninsula. But

India bans instant divorce by Muslim men

India bans instant divorce by Muslim men

AP, New Delhi :India's government on Wednesday approved an ordinance to implement a top court ruling striking down the Muslim practice that allows men to instantly divorce.The government decision came

Donald Trump unveils revised US bio-defence strategy

Donald Trump unveils revised US bio-defence strategy

US President Donald Trump unveiled a new strategy Tuesday aimed at reducing the risks of man-made and naturally occurring biological threats.The announcement came on the anniversary of the 2001 anthrax

Sex with Trump 'least impressive' she's ever had: Daniels

Sex with Trump 'least impressive' she's ever had: Daniels

Stormy Daniels, the porn star who claims to have slept with Donald Trump over a decade ago, says in her upcoming tell-all book that it may have been the "least

5.2m children at famine risk in Yemen: NGO warns

5.2m children at famine risk in Yemen: NGO warns

More than five million children are at risk of famine in Yemen as the ongoing war causes food and fuel prices to soar across the country, charity Save the Children

News in brief

Brexit talks face Irish hurdle at EU summitAFP, SalzburgPrime Minister Theresa May will confront European leaders Wednesday over the fate of the Irish border when Britain quits the EU next

US slashes refugee admissions to 30,000 for 2019

US slashes refugee admissions to 30,000 for 2019

Reuters, Washington :U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said on Monday the United States would cap the number of refugees allowed into the country at 30,000 for fiscal year 2019,

Kim says summit with US brought stability, sees further progress

Kim says summit with US brought stability, sees further progress

Reuters, Seoul :North Korean leader Kim Jong Un said on Tuesday his summit with U.S. President Donald Trump in June provided geopolitical stability and that he expects more progress.Kim began

Trump defends SC pick after sex assault allegation

Trump defends SC pick after sex assault allegation

US President Donald Trump stood firmly by his Supreme Court pick Brett Kavanaugh Monday after allegations that the conservative judge sexually assaulted a woman when they were teenagers threatened to

Russia says no Syria assault as Putin, Erdogan agree Idlib plan

Russia says no Syria assault as Putin, Erdogan agree Idlib plan

AFP, Sochi :Moscow said Monday there would be no assault on Syria's Idlib as the leaders of Russia and Turkey agreed to create a demilitarised zone around the Syrian rebel-held