Sunday, November 18, 2018 | ePaper

360MW Mymensingh power plant gets state guarantee

  • Print
Kazi Zahidul Hasan :
The government has granted state guarantee in favour of an export credit agency loan  (US$280 million) for implementing a 360MW power plant in Mymensingh.
Finance Minister AMA Muhith last week gave his consent to a proposal in this regard.
State-owned Rural Power Company Ltd (RPCL) sought the state guarantee from the ministry through the Power Division last month.
Officials said, the guarantee has been given applying a set of condition including creation of a separate 'loan repayment fund' and full compliance of the public procurement rules.     
"The government has extended the state guarantee to the export credit agency (ECA) loan to be used to fund the construction of the power project," Md. Abdus Sabur, Managing Director (MD) of RPCL, told The New Nation yesterday.
The sovereign guarantee was needed to secure the ECA financing, he said.
Md. Abdus Sabur said that the guarantee would cover 85 percent of the US$280 million ECA loan and the rest 15 per cent fund would come from the Palli Bidyut Samities (PBS).
"Now we will advance for floating international tender. The financing agreement is expected  to be signed after selecting the contractor," he added.
Md. Abdus Sabur further said reputed global firms have already shown interest to participate in the bidding with proposal to arrange ECA loan.      
When asked, the RPCL Managing Director said, "We moved for the ECA credit after facing a number of difficulties in securing a concessional loan from multilateral donor agencies". The duel fuel (GAS/HSD) combined cycle power plant is expected to come into commercial operation in January 2021. "Once the power plant comes into operation, it would ensure "stable power supply" and improve the economic opportunities for the Mymensingh Division," hoped Md. Abdus Sabur.
The plant will require 55mmcfd gas. The company will be able to receive the gas from imported LNG as the state-owned Petrobangla has initiated move to import it soon. It will be run by high speed diesel (HSD) until supply of LNG.   
RPCL, the country's first Independent Power Producer (IPP), has already acquired 16.50 acres of land for the power plant and completed feasibility study for building the power project.

More News For this Category

Don`t boycott polls, guard centres : Kamal

Don`t boycott polls, guard centres : Kamal

Staff Reporter :Jatiya Oikyafront leader and Gano Forum President Dr Kamal Hossain on Saturday called upon the supporters of the newly floated political alliance to guard the polling centres instead

JOF poll aspirants inform BNP of their target seats

Reza Mahmud :Leaders of Jatiya Oikya Front (JOF) have informed the BNP about where their top leaders want to contest in the coming Parliamentary election.BNP and JOF sources said, the

Ansar, VDP to be armed before polls

Kazi Zahidul Hasan : The Home Ministry has sought Tk 139.86 crore from the Finance Ministry for buying 30,000 shotguns and 3,000,000 cartridges for the Ansar and VDP before the

HC hearing on plea challenging govt's inaction today

Staff Reporter :The High Court (HC) will hold the hearing today (Sunday) on a writ petition filed challenging the government's failure and inaction to prevent the recent attack on Barrister

EC seeking police report on clashes with BNP men

The Election Commission will ask for a report from police on Wednesday's violent clashes between them and the BNP supporters at Nayapaltan.The law enforcers will be asked to include photos,

UN committee condemns HR violations against Rohingyas

AP :A key United Nations committee overwhelmingly approved a resolution on Friday strongly condemning the continuing "gross human rights violations and abuses" against Rohingya Muslims who are treated as outsiders

Saudi prince behind murder of Khashoggi: CIA

Saudi prince behind murder of Khashoggi: CIA

The CIA believes that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman ordered the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi, according to US media reports.Sources close to the agency said it had assessed

Biased poll officials to face music: EC

Staff Reporter :Election Commissioner Brigadier General (Rtd) Shahadat Hossain Chowdhury has warned election officials of stern punitive actions if any allegation of biasness found against them.Mentioning that the EC does

California wildfires: 'Over 1,000 missing' in Camp Fire

More than 1,000 people have been reported missing in a California wildfire which has destroyed thousands of homes and killed at least 71, local officials have said.The death toll rose

BNP spends money to make election controversial: Quader

Staff Reporter :General Secretary of Awami League Obaidul Quader on Saturday said, the BNP is spending money to make the coming 11th National Election controversial. Obaidul Quader said it in