Monday, June 26, 2017 | ePaper

Mediterranean migrant death toll for 2017 tops 1,000

  • Print
AFP :
Around 100 migrants have drowned in the Mediterranean according to shipwreck survivors, raising the death toll for the perilous crossing to Italy to over 1,000 victims in 2017, the UN's refugee agency said Friday.
"This latest tragedy pushes the number of people dead or missing in the central Mediterranean to 1,073 so far this year," the UNHCR told AFP. Among the 8,000 or so migrants plucked from flimsy dinghies over Easter weekend were survivors who told the agency about 100 of their fellow passengers had been claimed by the waves. At this point last year, 853 people had lost their lives or were feared drowned.
Overstretched migrant aid groups describing "unprecedented mass rescues" of people fleeing horrors in conflict-torn Libya over Easter had warned more people risked drowning without EU action.
Italian tugboat Asso 29 disembarked 1,170 of those rescued in Vibo Valentia in Calabria on Tuesday, including families from Syria, Tunisia, Bangladesh and Sub-Saharan Africa. "Some of those who arrived in Vibo Valentia told us there were around 100 people who died during the crossing," UNHCR's Federico Fossi told AFP, stressing that as always in these situations it was "difficult to get precise details on what had happened".
More than 36,700 people have been pulled to safety and brought to Italy so far this year according to the International Organization for Migration, an increase of nearly 45 percent compared with the same period last year. At least 150 of those lost were children, though the figure is likely to be higher as many underage migrants travel unaccompanied so their deaths often go unreported, UNICEF said Friday.
"It is deeply concerning that vulnerable people, including thousands of children, are risking their lives to reach Europe's shores using this incredibly dangerous route," said Afshan Khan, UNICEF special coordinator for Europe's refugee and migrant crisis. Several days of calm weather off the coast of Libya saw traffickers set dozens of dinghies or boats out to sea together. Italy has hopes of shutting down the route, though a deal signed with Libya in February-fiercely criticised by rescue groups and human rights campaigners-is in doubt after it was suspended in March by Tripoli's Court of Appeal. Interior Minister Marco Minniti said Friday Rome would supply Libya with 10 coastguard boats by the end of June in its bid to make the Libyan coastguard "the most powerful unit in northern Africa". But critics have scoffed at the idea of making any deal with Libya and questioned the legality of returning those picked up at sea to a country where migrants are kept in detention centres and report cases of torture, rape and slavery.

More News For this Category

UP member sent to jail over domestic help killing case

UNB, Beanibazar :A union parishad member of Lauta union in the upazila has been sent to jail in connection with the case filed for killing of a domestic help.The

Who cares about those living in old home!

UNB, Dhaka :He is a successful professional when it comes to his own career. He is also a successful father if one takes into account his children's social standing.

Strict security measures have been taken at Terminals to ensure security for the Eid home-going passengers. This photo was taken from Gabtoli Bus Terminal on Saturday.

Strict security measures have been taken at Terminals to ensure security for the Eid home-going passengers. This photo was taken from Gabtoli Bus Terminal on Saturday.

.

Snatched valuables of US citizen in Ctg recovered

UNB, Chittagong :Police have recovered the valuables of a foreign female teacher of Asian University for Women (AUW) from Riazuddin Bazar area of the port city on Thursday night

12 held along with 15 lakh Yaba in Ctg

UNB, Dhaka :Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) members arrested 12 people, including five Myanmar nationals, along with 15 lakh pieces of Yaba tablets from the outer anchorage of Chittagong port.Tipped

US Secretary of State greets Muslims

UNB, Dhaka :US Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson, on behalf of the US Department of State, has conveyed best wishes to all Muslims who will be celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr."This

$47.50 m WB loan to improve water, sanitation in Ctg

UNB, Dhaka :The World Bank has approved $47.50 million to improve water, sanitation, and drainage infrastructure in Chittagong, with the aim of helping about 650,000 inhabitants of the port

Traffic jam eases in city

Staff Reporter :Traffic jam in the Dhaka city is a common scenario. But ahead of Eid-ul Fitr, the city residents  are enjoying some kind of  relief  in absence of

Abandoning BNP`s Rangamati tour was wrong: Gayeshwar

UNB, Dhaka :BNP senior leader Gayeshwar Chandra Roy on Saturday said their party senior leaders' decision to cancel their Rangamati, Chittagong tour after being attacked by ruling party men was

Six dead, over 100 missing in China landslide

AFP  :At least six people were found dead and over 100 remained missing hours after a massive landslide buried a mountain village in southwest China on Saturday as rescuers