Monday, May 29, 2017 | ePaper

Trump lauds Chinese efforts on N Korea `menace,` Pyongyang warns of strike

  • Print
Reuters, Washington :
U.S. President Donald Trump praised Chinese efforts to rein in "the menace of North Korea" on Thursday, after North Korean state media warned the United States of a "super-mighty preemptive strike."
Trump told a news conference "some very unusual moves have been made over the last two or three hours," and that he was confident Chinese President Xi Jinping would "try very hard" to pressure Beijing's ally and neighbor North Korea over its nuclear and missile programs. While Trump gave no indication of what the moves might be, U.S. officials told Reuters that the United States was aware of a higher-than-usual level of activity by Chinese bombers, signaling a possible heightened state of readiness. The officials played down concerns and left open a range of possible reasons. Those possibilities included defensive exercises or Chinese concerns over North Korea. None of the officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity,  
suggested alarm or signaled that they knew the precise reason for such Chinese activity. U.S. officials have been saying for weeks that North Korea could soon stage another nuclear bomb test, something both the United States and China have both warned against. Trump has taken a hard line with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, who has proceeded with nuclear and missile programs in defiance of U.N. Security Council sanctions.
The United States and South Korea are technically still at war with North Korea because their 1950-53 conflict ended in a truce, not a peace treaty. Tensions have risen sharply in recent months after North Korea conducted two nuclear weapons tests last year and carried out a steady stream of ballistic missile tests. Trump, who took office in January, has vowed to prevent North Korea from being able to hit the United States with a nuclear missile. Trump has focused his efforts on North Korea on trying to persuade China to put more pressure on its ally and could view any unusual Chinese military movements as supportive of this.
He told a news conference with the visiting prime minister of Italy on Thursday that the United States was "in very good shape" on North Korea and that China's Xi, whom he met this month for a summit in Florida, was working hard to help. "We don't know whether or not they're able to do that, but I have absolute confidence that he will be trying very very hard." Trump repeated a past comment that he had told Xi in Florida that China would make much better deal on trade with the United States "if you get rid of this menace or do something about this menace of North Korea." The Rodong Sinmun, the official newspaper of North Korea's ruling Workers' Party, struck an aggressive tone earlier on Thursday. "In the case of our super-mighty preemptive strike being launched, it will completely and immediately wipe out not only U.S. imperialists' invasion forces in South Korea and its surrounding areas but the U.S. mainland and reduce them to ashes," it said.
Reclusive North Korea regularly threatens to destroy Japan, South Korea and the United States and has shown no let-up in its belligerence after a failed missile test on Sunday, which followed a huge display of missiles at a parade in Pyongyang.
South Korean news agency Yonhap quoted an unnamed South Korean government source as saying that the U.S. Air Force had dispatched a nuclear sniffer aircraft on Thursday to the east of the Korean Peninsula in anticipation of a possible nuclear test. The U.S. Defense Department does not comment on deployments of the WC-135 Constant Phoenix aircraft used to collect samples from the atmosphere to detect and analyze nuclear explosions. The U.N. Security Council on Thursday condemned North Korea's latest failed missile test and demanded it not conduct any more nuclear tests. South Korea's acting president, Hwang Kyo-ahn, at a meeting with top officials on Thursday, repeatedly called for the military and security ministries to maintain vigilance.
The South Korean defense ministry said U.S. and South Korean air forces were conducting an annual training exercise, codenamed Max Thunder, until April 28. North Korea routinely labels such exercises preparations for invasion. "We are conducting a practical and more intensive exercise than ever," South Korean pilot Colonel Lee Bum-chul told reporters. "Through this exercise, I am sure we can deter war and remove our enemy's intention to provoke us." William Perry, who served as U.S. defense secretary from 1994 to 1997 and negotiated with North Korea, said he did not believe Pyongyang was planning a surprise attack, despite the fiery rhetoric. But he warned: "They are doing a lot of bluster and a lot of threats, and they might misplay that hand and blunder into a war."

More News For this Category

Make sense of war on terrorism: Trust Muslims

Editorial Desk : Britain’s Labour Party leader Jeremy Corbyn has said something boldly, but should lead us all to rethink about the war on terror followed and encouraged by the

A tempo turned turtle on Mayor Mohammad Hanif Flyover injuring eight passengers as its driver was driving the vehicle desperately on Sunday.

A tempo turned turtle on Mayor Mohammad Hanif Flyover injuring eight passengers as its driver was driving the vehicle desperately on Sunday.

Turmoil at Narcotics Control Deptt

Sagar Biswas :An abnormal situation has developed at the Department of Narcotics Control (DNC) centring the posting and transfers of inspectors and intelligence officials, for which its Director General

Many girls get married after SSC

M M Jasim :A total of 1,26,542 students, who passed the Secondary School Certificate (SSC) and its equivalent examinations this year did not apply for admission in any college of

EFT mandatory for banks by Dec: BB

Staff Reporter :The Bangladesh Bank has made mandatory for commercial banks to provide EFT (Electronic Funds Transfer) and Real Time Gross Settlement (RTGS) services from all their branches by December

Inu warns AL against `tie-up` with Hefazat

bdnews24.com :Information Minister Hasanul Haq Inu has warned the Awami League of serious consequences of any political connection with Hefazat-e Islam.After the removal of a statue from the Supreme Court

Statue reinstalled in front of SC annex building

Statue reinstalled in front of SC annex building

Staff Reporter :The statue of Lady Justice, which was removed earlier on Friday at the directives of authorities concerned, was reinstalled in front of the Supreme Court's annex building early

JU closed sine die

JU closed sine die

Staff Reporter :Authorities on Sunday closed the Jahangirnagar University (JU) for an indefinite period and asked the students to vacate their dormitories immediately.The university authorities took the decision at an

8 killed, suspect incustody

Timesofindia.Com :Eight people, including a deputy sheriff, were killed in a shooting in Lincoln County in the US state of Mississippi on Sunday.Police said the suspect, 35-year-old Cory Godbolt, has

Hearing on 16th Amendment adjourned

Court Correspondent :Chief Justice Surendra Kumar Sinha on Sunday adjourned the 8th day's hearing on  the appeal filed on behalf of the Government against a High Court verdict that scrapped