Sunday, September 24, 2017 | ePaper

Venezuela crisis

3 killed at anti-govt protests

  • Print


There were clashes between protesters and riot police against the government of President Nicolas Maduro and demanding new election. Internet photo



At least three people have been killed in Venezuela in protests against the government of President Nicolas Maduro.
A teenager in the capital Caracas and a woman in San Cristobal, near the Colombian border, were shot dead.
A national guardsman was killed south of the capital.
Tens of thousands of people rallied to demand new presidential elections and the release of jailed opposition politicians. Mr Maduro accused the opposition of attacking police.
He also accused them of looting shops, saying that more than 30 arrests had been made.
Supporters of the government held a rival rally in Caracas. Meanwhile, opposition leader Henrique Capriles has called for further mass protests on Thursday. Despite having the world's largest proven oil reserves, Venezuela has suffered for several years from high inflation, rampant crime and a shortage of basic goods.
The protests taking place across the country were expected to be the biggest in three years, putting extra pressure on President Maduro to negotiate with the opposition and find a way of easing the country's economic crisis. Anti-government protesters have described it as Venezuela's "second independence day".
Elections are not due until late 2018, but the opposition says the country is on the verge of collapse. Inflation is expected to top 700% this year, the IMF says.
The latest crisis was triggered by last month's Supreme Court decision to officially take over power from the opposition-controlled parliament. The Supreme Court reversed its decision after three days, but it was too late to prevent a new wave of protests.
Venezuela has now seen weeks of clashes between demonstrators and police. The latest deaths bring the number killed to at least eight, with many more injured.

More News For this Category

Myanmar proposes meeting with BD

Dhaka Tribune :Myanmar, who’s brutal military campaign in Rakhine state forced hundreds of thousands of Rohingya flee to Bangladesh, has finally proposed a meeting with Dhaka to find a solution

Int`l Tribunal found Myanmar guilty of genocide

Myanmar is guilty of genocide against the Rohingya people, according to the verdict of International Permanent Peoples' Tribunal. A seven-member panel announced the verdict on Friday after considering documentary

Rohingya villages still burning

Staff Reporter :Amnesty International (AI) has said new satellite images and videos from Myanmar's strife-torn Rakhine State show smoke rising from Rohingya Muslim villages, contradicting Aung San Suu Kyi's claims

About 1,400 Rohingya children arrive without parents

About 1,400 Rohingya children arrive without parents

About 1,400 Rohingya children have arrived in Bangladesh without their parents fleeing violence in Rakhine State of Myanmar.Their parents were either killed or missing in the wake of a brutal

Army joins relief efforts

Army joins relief efforts

Staff Reporter :Bangladesh Army on Saturday started to work on the relief efforts and rehabilitation of Rohingya refugees in Cox's Bazar.Inter-Service Public Relations (ISPR) Director Lt Col Rashidul Hasan confirmed

Mobile operators asked not to sell pvt SIM to Rohingyas

Staff Reporter :State Minister for Posts and Telecommunications Tarana Halim on Saturday said, the government will take action against private mobile operators if they have sold SIM to Rohingyas.The state

Landmines deadly for fleeing Rohingyas: HRW

Staff Reporter :Myanmar security forces have laid landmines during attacks on villages and, along the Bangladesh border, posing a grave risk to Rohingya Muslims fleeing atrocities, Human Rights Watch (HRW)

Trump blasts Republican Obamacare rebels

US President Donald Trump has hit out at Republicans who are refusing to back the latest effort to repeal Obama-era healthcare legislation.Speaking in Alabama, he said senators from his party

Half of UNSC ask Guterres to publicly brief on Myanmar

United Nations (Reuters) : Seven members of the United Nations Security Council, including the United States and Britain, on Friday asked U.N. chief Antonio Guterres to publicly brief the 15-member

SAARC summit uncertain again!

Times of India :For the second year in a row, there may be no SAARC summit. India, Bangladesh and Afghanistan had pulled out of the 2016 SAARC summit citing Pakistan's