Tuesday, June 27, 2017 | ePaper

BREAKING NEWS:

Syrian evacuees stuck at site of deadly bombing

  • Print
AFP :
Hundreds of frightened Syrians being evacuated from besieged towns were stuck Thursday at a rebel-held transit point where more than 120 of their fellow townspeople were killed in a weekend bombing.
The 3,000 evacuees left their homes in the government-controlled towns of Fuaa and Kafraya at dawn on Wednesday as part of a deal that is also seeing residents and fighters transported out of several rebel areas surrounded by government forces.
The evacuations began last week but were delayed after Saturday's suicide car bombing, which saw 126 people killed, 68 of them children, at the transit point in Rashidin, west of Aleppo.
They resumed on Wednesday but evacuees were forced to spend the night in buses at the marshalling area following another delay. The Syrian Observatory for Human Rights said the latest delay was the result of an 11th-hour rebel demand for the release of prisoners held by President Bashar al-Assad's government.
"The convoys will not move until after the release of 750 prisoners-men and women-from regime prisons and their arrival in rebel-held areas," the British-based monitoring group said.
On Thursday, an AFP correspondent saw the evacuees gathered together at the transit point, surrounded by armed rebels, as children played near the waiting buses.
Umm Sanad, a 50-year-old woman from Fuaa, said they had overcome their fear to join the evacuation.
"We left because of the siege and the rockets. We left even though we were afraid after the attack," said Sanad, who evacuated along her  
teenaged sons. The rebel fighters were keeping all other cars away from the area, except for a Red Crescent vehicle that was allowed to distribute aid.
Saturday's attack was one of the deadliest since the start of Syria's six-year civil war and was widely condemned for targeting civilians. No group has claimed responsibility for the bombing. The government blamed "terrorists"-a catch-all term for its opponents. The current evacuations mark the end of the first stage of a deal brokered by regime ally Iran and Qatar, a longtime supporter of rebel groups battling Assad's forces.
Shiite-dominated Iran has repeatedly raised concerns for the mainly Shiite residents of Fuaa and Kafraya, who are surrounded by Sunni rebels and Islamists who control the surrounding Idlib province.
Under the agreement, residents and rebel fighters are being evacuated from the towns of Madaya, Zabadani, and other nearby oppositions-held areas close to Damascus. On Wednesday, 11 buses carrying around 300 people left Zabadani and two other rebel-held areas around Damascus.
They were being held up on Thursday at a staging point at Ramussa in government-held territory, the Observatory said. When the current phase of evacuations is complete, a total of 8,000 people should have left Fuaa and Kafraya in exchange for 2,500 civilians and rebels from opposition areas.
A second phase of the evacuations-which in all will see up to 30,000 people transferred from their homes-is to begin in June.

More News For this Category

UP member sent to jail over domestic help killing case

UNB, Beanibazar :A union parishad member of Lauta union in the upazila has been sent to jail in connection with the case filed for killing of a domestic help.The

Who cares about those living in old home!

UNB, Dhaka :He is a successful professional when it comes to his own career. He is also a successful father if one takes into account his children's social standing.

Strict security measures have been taken at Terminals to ensure security for the Eid home-going passengers. This photo was taken from Gabtoli Bus Terminal on Saturday.

Strict security measures have been taken at Terminals to ensure security for the Eid home-going passengers. This photo was taken from Gabtoli Bus Terminal on Saturday.

.

Snatched valuables of US citizen in Ctg recovered

UNB, Chittagong :Police have recovered the valuables of a foreign female teacher of Asian University for Women (AUW) from Riazuddin Bazar area of the port city on Thursday night

12 held along with 15 lakh Yaba in Ctg

UNB, Dhaka :Rapid Action Battalion (RAB) members arrested 12 people, including five Myanmar nationals, along with 15 lakh pieces of Yaba tablets from the outer anchorage of Chittagong port.Tipped

US Secretary of State greets Muslims

UNB, Dhaka :US Secretary of State Rex W. Tillerson, on behalf of the US Department of State, has conveyed best wishes to all Muslims who will be celebrating Eid-ul-Fitr."This

$47.50 m WB loan to improve water, sanitation in Ctg

UNB, Dhaka :The World Bank has approved $47.50 million to improve water, sanitation, and drainage infrastructure in Chittagong, with the aim of helping about 650,000 inhabitants of the port

Traffic jam eases in city

Staff Reporter :Traffic jam in the Dhaka city is a common scenario. But ahead of Eid-ul Fitr, the city residents  are enjoying some kind of  relief  in absence of

Abandoning BNP`s Rangamati tour was wrong: Gayeshwar

UNB, Dhaka :BNP senior leader Gayeshwar Chandra Roy on Saturday said their party senior leaders' decision to cancel their Rangamati, Chittagong tour after being attacked by ruling party men was

Six dead, over 100 missing in China landslide

AFP  :At least six people were found dead and over 100 remained missing hours after a massive landslide buried a mountain village in southwest China on Saturday as rescuers