Friday, September 22, 2017 | ePaper

Syria evacuations resume after deadly bombing

  • Print


Syrian civilians being evacuated from the government-held towns of Fuaa and Kafraya, which have been under crippling siege for more than two years, on buses near the rebel-held transit point of Rashidin on Wednesday.

AFP, Rashidin :
The evacuation of four besieged Syrian towns resumed Wednesday, with tight security in place for those leaving government-held areas after a weekend bombing against evacuees killed dozens including nearly 70 children.
A large convoy of buses set out from the government-held towns of Fuaa and Kafraya in Syria's Idlib province, carrying 3,000 people to the rebel-held transit point of Rashidin near Aleppo city, an AFP correspondent at the point said.
At the same time, 11 buses carrying around 300 people left rebel-held Zabadani, Serghaya and Jabal Sharqi in Damascus province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor said.
In Rashidin, security was tight after a devastating bomb attack on evacuees at the site on Saturday that according to the Observatory killed 126 people, including 68 children.
Most of the dead were evacuees from the two Shiite-majority towns, with a handful of aid workers and rebels guarding the convoy also among the dead.
Dozens of wounded were taken to hospitals in nearby rebel-held territory, while others were taken to Aleppo, which government forces regained full control of late last year.
Armed rebels were standing guard at Rashidin on Wednesday and carefully inspecting vehicles arriving in the area.
Buses were parked in a semi-circle, forming a makeshift barrier around an area in the centre of a lot where evacuees including dozens of children milled.
Pro-government militiamen among those being evacuated from Fuaa and Kafraya squatted next to one bus, smoking cigarettes.
Standing nearby, 55-year-old Um Joud from Fuaa said it was difficult to describe how she felt.
"I'm not afraid, because everything is in God's hands," she told AFP.
"Of course I would have preferred to stay in my home, but I left for the sake of my children and their lives and futures."
The evacuations are taking place under a deal between government and opposition representatives that is also seeing residents and rebels transported out from several areas under regime siege near Damascus, primarily Madaya and Zabadani.
It was brokered late last month by Qatar, a longtime opposition supporter, and Iran, a key regime ally, but its implementation had been repeatedly delayed.
When Wednesday's evacuations are complete, a total of 8,000 people should have left Fuaa and Kafraya, including pro-government fighters and civilians.

More News For this Category

Afghan President praises Trump`s strategy for Afghanistan

Reuters, United Nation :Afghan President Ashraf Ghani said on Wednesday that U.S. President Donald Trump's strategy to win the war in Afghanistan will work where his predecessor's failed because

Russian special forces helping Syrian troops in key city

Russian special forces helping Syrian troops in key city

AP, Moscow :Russian special forces are helping Syrian government troops fight Islamic State militants in the battle underway for the strategic city of Deir el-Zour in eastern Syria, the

Filipino protesters slam martial law, killings under Duterte

Filipino protesters slam martial law, killings under Duterte

AP, Manila :Thousands of protesters marked the anniversary of the 1972 martial law declaration by late Philippine dictator Ferdinand Marcos with an outcry against what they say is the

News In Brief

Grenade attack kills 3 in Indian-held KashmirAP, SrinagarThree civilians were killed and 23 others wounded after suspected rebels Thursday lobbed a grenade at a motorcade of a local government

Time for North Korea dialogue is over: Japanese PM

Time for North Korea dialogue is over: Japanese PM

AFP, United Nations :Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe on Wednesday declared the time for dialogue with North Korea to be over and rallied behind a US warning that "all

Melania threatens lawsuit over English class billboard

Melania threatens lawsuit over English class billboard

AP, Zagreb :Billboards featuring Melania Trump and the slogan "just imagine how far you can go with a little bit of English" were removed Tuesday from the Croatian capital

Hindus fleeing Myanmar violence nowhope for shelter in India

Hindus fleeing Myanmar violence nowhope for shelter in India

Reuters, New Delhi : Caught in the crossfire between Myanmar's military and Rohingya insurgents, hundreds of Hindus who have fled to Bangladesh are placing their hopes on the Hindu nationalist

Iran in UN spotlight as Trump threatens nuclear deal

Iran in UN spotlight as Trump threatens nuclear deal

AFP, United Nations :Tehran will defend itself on the world stage on Wednesday with President Donald Trump threatening to trigger a new international crisis by pulling out of the

News In Brief

Raqqa campaign in 'final stages': SDFReuters, BeirutThe U.S.-backed Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) said on Wednesday its campaign to capture Raqqa from Islamic State (IS) was in its final stages

Turkey warns of global conflict if Iraq or Syria break up

Turkey warns of global conflict if Iraq or Syria break up

Reuters, Sirnak, Turkey :Turkey escalated its opposition to a Kurdish independence referendum in northern Iraq on Tuesday, training tank guns and rocket launchers across the southern border and saying