Thursday, April 19, 2018 | ePaper

Syria evacuations resume after deadly bombing

  • Print


Syrian civilians being evacuated from the government-held towns of Fuaa and Kafraya, which have been under crippling siege for more than two years, on buses near the rebel-held transit point of Rashidin on Wednesday.

AFP, Rashidin :
The evacuation of four besieged Syrian towns resumed Wednesday, with tight security in place for those leaving government-held areas after a weekend bombing against evacuees killed dozens including nearly 70 children.
A large convoy of buses set out from the government-held towns of Fuaa and Kafraya in Syria's Idlib province, carrying 3,000 people to the rebel-held transit point of Rashidin near Aleppo city, an AFP correspondent at the point said.
At the same time, 11 buses carrying around 300 people left rebel-held Zabadani, Serghaya and Jabal Sharqi in Damascus province, the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights monitor said.
In Rashidin, security was tight after a devastating bomb attack on evacuees at the site on Saturday that according to the Observatory killed 126 people, including 68 children.
Most of the dead were evacuees from the two Shiite-majority towns, with a handful of aid workers and rebels guarding the convoy also among the dead.
Dozens of wounded were taken to hospitals in nearby rebel-held territory, while others were taken to Aleppo, which government forces regained full control of late last year.
Armed rebels were standing guard at Rashidin on Wednesday and carefully inspecting vehicles arriving in the area.
Buses were parked in a semi-circle, forming a makeshift barrier around an area in the centre of a lot where evacuees including dozens of children milled.
Pro-government militiamen among those being evacuated from Fuaa and Kafraya squatted next to one bus, smoking cigarettes.
Standing nearby, 55-year-old Um Joud from Fuaa said it was difficult to describe how she felt.
"I'm not afraid, because everything is in God's hands," she told AFP.
"Of course I would have preferred to stay in my home, but I left for the sake of my children and their lives and futures."
The evacuations are taking place under a deal between government and opposition representatives that is also seeing residents and rebels transported out from several areas under regime siege near Damascus, primarily Madaya and Zabadani.
It was brokered late last month by Qatar, a longtime opposition supporter, and Iran, a key regime ally, but its implementation had been repeatedly delayed.
When Wednesday's evacuations are complete, a total of 8,000 people should have left Fuaa and Kafraya, including pro-government fighters and civilians.

More News For this Category

Bureaucrat set to replace Raul Castro as Cuba's President

Bureaucrat set to replace Raul Castro as Cuba's President

AP, Havana  :A 57-year-old bureaucrat will take Raul Castro's place as the president of Cuba on Thursday as a government led by a single family for six decades tries

UN in talks with Syria, Russia on security for chemical weapons experts

UN in talks with Syria, Russia on security for chemical weapons experts

AFP, United Nations :A UN team is discussing security arrangements with Syrian and Russian authorities in Douma to allow experts to deploy soon to investigate an alleged chemical weapons attack,

Trump says porn star Stormy Daniels is conning the media

Trump says porn star Stormy Daniels is conning the media

AFP, Washington :US President Donald Trump accused porn star Stormy Daniels on Wednesday of pulling a "total con job" by releasing an artist's sketch of a man she said

News In Brief

Taiwan calls Chinese military drills a threat to regionAP, Beijing Taiwan's government said Thursday that recent Chinese military drills aim to intimidate the island and are a threat to

Trump hopeful for Kim summit, but not afraid to walk away

Trump hopeful for Kim summit, but not afraid to walk away

AFP, United States :US President Donald Trump said Wednesday he hoped his improbable summit with North Korea's Kim Jong Un would go ahead-but warned he was not afraid to

Modi confronted by angry protests in London

Modi confronted by angry protests in London

Reuters, London  :Hundreds of noisy protesters greeted Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi when he arrived in London on Wednesday, demonstrating over a rising tide of sexual violence at home,

Seoul to seek deal on formally ending war with N Korea

Seoul to seek deal on formally ending war with N Korea

AFP, Seoul :South Korea is seeking to open discussions about formally declaring an end to the war with the nuclear-armed North at a rare inter-Korean summit next week, officials

Saudi Arabia to show 'Black Panther' to mark cinema opening

Saudi Arabia to show 'Black Panther' to mark cinema opening

AP, Riyadh :Saudi Arabia will hold a private screening of the Hollywood blockbuster "Black Panther" to herald the launch of movie theaters that are set to open to the

Mahathir sees 50-50 chance of opposition win

Mahathir sees 50-50 chance of opposition win

AP, Putrajaya, Malaysia :Former Malaysian strongman Mahathir Mohamad said Wednesday that huge rallies indicate some of the ruling coalition's traditional Malay supporters are now favoring the opposition and a

US in `extremely high` level talks with North Korea on summit: Trump

US in `extremely high` level talks with North Korea on summit: Trump

Reuters  Beach, Fla :President Donald Trump said on Tuesday the United States is engaged in direct talks at "extremely high levels" with North Korea to try to set up